power window problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgumoe

Reaction score
Sorry for the 1st post being a question instead of me introducing myself but im ready to burn this truck to the ground right now. Ive been lurking for months but usually dont have anything important to add to the discussion. I have a 95 GMC 1500 2wd ECSB. 5.7 auto. I just got the paint done and Im reassembling the interior right now. My problem is this. The driver side power window works with no problem. My passenger window however will not work at all. At first I would get a clunk from the motor in the down direction but nothing in the up. I have changed both switches to no avail. I also tried a brand new motor and it too did nothing. There is power to the switches and there is power to the motor when the switch is energized. I also verified that the ground circuit is complete and flip flopping as designed. The motor will work if I connect it to the driver side wire harness. But I get nothing on the passenger side. When I started doing this the motor and regulator were all attatched to the door frame. Ive since removed the regulator and motor assembly. I can connect the motor direct to a battery and it works. Obviously the motor is good. How is it possible to have both power and ground to the motor and yet it doesnt work when connected to the truck. Anything you can throw at me I can handle. Ive tried everything I can think of and Im at a complete loss for ideas now. Thanks

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
How are you testing for power and ground? Test lights and volt meters work, but can't tell you if enough amperage can pass through the wires. A broken wire with 2 strands touching can show 12 volts on a meter, but the amount of current needed to make the window motor work can't pass through.

I use an old headlight as a load tool. If you use a set leads between the motor plug and the headlight, operate the switch and see if the bulb lights. If not, you most likely have a broken wire in the door jamb area [common place for wires to break]. If it does light the circuit is good and the problem may be the regulator binding at some point.

Hope this helps

dgumoe

Reaction score
Yeah i was thinking along the same lines as you. I had actually removed the door harness from the equation and was jumping from the chassis harness right to the motor with still no luck. Somehow and dont ask me how in the midst of all my testing the motor started working again. So I reconnected the door harness and it still worked. So I shook the everloving crap out of all the wires and bent them back and forth every which way. It never failed again. I agree 100 percent with the broken wire but Ill be dipped in manure if I can find it now. Im just going to add this one to the list of mysteries Ive had to contend with on this pig since I bought it. Thanks for the help.