Power to Cassette in '94 Factory Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I plan to upgrade to the Retrosound aftermarket stereo soon in order to retain much of the factory look in my '94 K1500. I know the dash cassette will not work and I have no need for it to. However, I was wondering if I could splice the power wire from it into the stereo harness just to have it light up. I know that might sound silly, but I think it might look better lit when the truck is on rather than just sitting in there dead. And I don't want to take it out and replace with a pocket. I'd like for the interior to look as stock as possible. Thanks!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Easy, just need the ground and illumination wires connected. The EQ display will not light up because it requires data from the CDM, however the buttons still should... if you have the EQ cassette deck. The harness from the cassette player will have these three wires on one end: Light Blue/Black, Black, and Gray, OR White/Black, Black, and White. Black on both is ground, Gray or White will be the illumination line - splice it into the factory radio's illumination line (the six-pin power connector's gray wire) for best effect and factory-like control.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Easy, just need the ground and illumination wires connected. The EQ display will not light up because it requires data from the CDM, however the buttons still should... if you have the EQ cassette deck. The harness from the cassette player will have these three wires on one end: Light Blue/Black, Black, and Gray, OR White/Black, Black, and White. Black on both is ground, Gray or White will be the illumination line - splice it into the factory radio's illumination line (the six-pin power connector's gray wire) for best effect and factory-like control.
Thanks a bunch! That’s a perfect description of what I needed. Bummer about the EQ, but no big deal.

mwolfe5

Reaction score
is there a way to see if all the led buttons work on the eq deck i have mine plugged up but only the up and down arrows come on?