Power steering questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just looking by googleing rpo codes it looks like the code is V12 but neither of my trucks have that code but they both have the tube and fin style cooler.

My 1999 C2500 has the tube and fin cooler but no V12 code on what I believe to be its build sheet.

This just came to thought. Maybe its a 8600 gvw thing that gives them a cooler and being 4wd. Both of them are 8 lug 2500's.

Mine is 8 lug 8600 gvw - but only 2WD.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1999 C2500 has the tube and fin cooler but no V12 code on what I believe to be its build sheet.

Mine is 8 lug 8600 gvw - but only 2WD.
Hmm well it was just a guess. I'm sure someone some where that is alot smarter then me knows why some got them and some didn't. Also I don't know what year ranges that V12 code is for. The site I got it from didn't list that.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm well it was just a guess. I'm sure someone some where that is alot smarter then me knows why some got them and some didn't. Also I don't know what year ranges that V12 code is for. The site I got it from didn't list that.

I didn't mean to be argumentative - just thought adding to the confusion was a good idea!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I still think it may be a hot climate thing? I think GM put in the hot fuel module for the same reason.

My 88 C1500 was sold brand new out of Flint, MI and it had the cooler just like you. That truck had a 350/700R4 and a 3.42. I was told it had a towing package, but the lack of hitch, wiring, and 28" radiator with no oil cooler determined that was a lie. It did have this weird mirror on the one side, had a thumb screw you could loosen to slide the mirror farther out. Otherwise it just looked like a stock mirror.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea how it was determined if they got the PS cooler or not. I went and looked at my GM trucks and they all have them. They are as follows:

99 Silverado 1500 ECSB 2WD with 4.3 LS
00 K3500 CCLB SRW with 5.7 LS
06 Suburban 2500 2WD with LQ4 LT

Neither show an RPO that matches PS cooler. In fact, the suburban even has a engine block heater, so it does not seem that it would be a "hot state" option. As far as I thought, it was standard on trucks?

Could it be related to trim? Maybe just coincidence? I think the 2 earlier trucks are sort of a "nice trim" option, and I think LT in 06 was as well?

I can't recall the early GMT 400 trim options. Was it Cheyenne and Silverado in Chevy and respective SLT and SLE in the GMC Sierra? What about SUVs?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck had a 350/700R4 and a 3.42. I was told it had a towing package, but the lack of hitch, wiring, and 28" radiator with no oil cooler determined that was a lie
Mine is the same engine, gears, and radiator. The PO installed a trans cooler and it has a 2" receiver but, I'm not sure if that was stock. There was no factory pig tail wiring that I know of.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine had a bigass tube and fin trans cooler bolted up, kinda looked factory. Mine was a Silverado, but had no tach and crank windows with manual locks. Not sure where that falls as far as trim levels.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My neighbor has an 89 c1500 v8 auto, reg cab, 6ft bed. Trim badging is missing. Pwr windows & locks. Manual mirrors.

He has the tube style that runs about a foot into the driver side frame rail & loops back.