Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried the same tool on my 99 tahoe and it stripped the puller bolt and didn't budge the pulley. POS tools are plentiful now days, I should have bought a better one to begin with. I ended up having to remove the entire bracket with pump still attached like the guys above posted.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You make a good point, I’ve bought the same t-shirt. GM has a spec for it, but good luck trying to measure with a feeler gauge. I just ballpark it flush with a straight edge and a light shining from below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the spec. I “measured” the distance between the end of the shaft and the pulley face with my finger and that seems about right. Seems like the pulley doesn’t quite go down flush. I always try to put it back together the same way it was.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a puller like that and ran into the same exact thing - leaning sideways chewing up the pulley lip ..so to error on the side of caution I removed the whole entire alt / power steering assembly with pump out of the truck before I screwed it up too bad , put it on the bench in a vise , put a radiator hose clamp around the clamshell to keep it from slipping off instead of using that cheap collar that comes with the puller that slips and slides , I also lubed the puller nose and threads to make it run smoother and shot the pulley to shaft junction with PB blaster and let it soak overnight - sorry man its a difficult task to get off in the truck - also some luck of the draw on how hard your pulley is to get off - rust, tolerances etc ...... also make sure when you put it all back together you get that pulley depth correct on the shaft or you will have belt misalignment which could lead you to throw a belt .... the last thing you want is to have to break that stupid tool out once again in the truck to push the pulley down some more to get it to align correctly ....... ask me how I know lol....
I like your idea of the hose clamp around the clamshell. I think I will try that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a torch and can heat the pulley behind the lip,
That's called the "Blue Wrench" for a reason.

Heat is an excellent persuader. It would have been my FIRST choice.

Heat the pulley at the press-fit, avoid heating the shaft to the extent possible. The only downside to heat is that you don't want to damage the seal holding the fluid in.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's called the "Blue Wrench" for a reason.

Heat is an excellent persuader. It would have been my FIRST choice.

Heat the pulley at the press-fit, avoid heating the shaft to the extent possible. The only downside to heat is that you don't want to damage the seal holding the fluid in.
I think I might try heating it. I want to try and leave the lip cool so I don’t make it any softer than it already is. Also you can only get so much of the press fit because it goes back behind the pulley face. But it may be enough and worth a try. I still think this is a stupid design. Why couldn’t GM put a simple key way and retaining nut like the alternators have? I replaced a bunch of those and never had a problem.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still think this is a stupid design. Why couldn’t GM put a simple key way and retaining nut like the alternators have? I replaced a bunch of those and never had a problem.

Because some genius engineer figured they could save 10 cents a truck by using a press fit and they dont care one bit about servicability ;) .

Last edited:

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I need some advice. I have a `91 350 TBI with a leaky power steering pump. I was going to pull it and rebuild it but since I am cheap and lazy and have access to a pull-a-part yard I thought I would just buy one there since I can get it for about the price of a rebuild kit. I thought I might mess mine up anyway so I thought getting another one would be a good idea. Well I found a good one and I got a Performance Tools puller and the puller worked like a charm and the pump came right off of the `94 at the junk yard. The problem came when I got home and tried to pull my pulley off, it won`t budge. The puller was starting to go sideways and starting to take the outer lip off of the pulley. I stopped before I completly f*ck&d it up. My question is this, what is the best plan "B". I have a torch and can heat the pulley behind the lip, or I can use my Sawsall to cut down into the pulley. Since I have a good pump and pulley I don`t mind destroying my old one. I just don`t want to beat on my truck or use a cutting torch on my engine. If anyone ran into this before and has advice I would be glad to hear it. Thanks.

Just a quick question... do you have the collars oriented correctly? I only ask because, if memory serves me, you could have them backwards (upside down, technically) and it wouldn’t get a good grip on the pulley...

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a quick question... do you have the collars oriented correctly? I only ask because, if memory serves me, you could have them backwards (upside down, technically) and it wouldn’t get a good grip on the pulley...
I know what you mean. I tried to turn them around and they just won’t grip the other way.