Power steering pump going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yes, definitely replace both hoses if they are leaking. Here's the procedure that we did on my 96 when I put a new PS pump in:

-Jack up front end
-Fill pump full of fluid
-Remove return line
-Spin steering wheel left and right (keep in mind to keep refilling fluid so that you don't put air into system while you're bleeding it, having some help from a friend will be most beneficial). Make sure you spin the wheel until it stops in each direction.
-Keep spinning until clear fluid is coming out of the return line
-Hook up return line
-Start the engine
-Refill pump fluid in case the spinning of the pump has sucked some fluid down

I bought some AC Delco PS fluid on Rock Auto, some people say to only get GM equivalent fluid in it, so that's what I got to keep my PS whine to a minimum. Try not to put that "Stop leak" garbage in there.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, definitely replace both hoses if they are leaking. Here's the procedure that we did on my 96 when I put a new PS pump in:

-Jack up front end
-Fill pump full of fluid
-Remove return line
-Spin steering wheel left and right (keep in mind to keep refilling fluid so that you don't put air into system while you're bleeding it, having some help from a friend will be most beneficial). Make sure you spin the wheel until it stops in each direction.
-Keep spinning until clear fluid is coming out of the return line
-Hook up return line
-Start the engine
-Refill pump fluid in case the spinning of the pump has sucked some fluid down

I bought some AC Delco PS fluid on Rock Auto, some people say to only get GM equivalent fluid in it, so that's what I got to keep my PS whine to a minimum. Try not to put that "Stop leak" garbage in there.
Thanks man. Sounds like a plan I'll tackle this weekend.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever size your return hose is. Likely 3/8, but I suppose it could be 5/16.

Specifically, two inches of whatever hose size that is, a one-inch long bolt the same size, and two clamps--one to hold the plugged hose to the nipple, and one to hold the bolt into the hose.

There's probably commercially-available plastic plugs the correct size; but everyone I know of just crams a bolt into a short length of hose and has at it.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That procedure works great on a rack & pinion but understand that the gear box holds a lot of fluid. I assume a complete flush will need to address the volume in there. Does the steering gearbox have a drain plug?
I serviced many systems in the south, I noticed after the pine tree pollen season I'd see a surge of steering noise complaints. Especially foreign cars with screens or filters in the reservoir. Once drained I found a clear jelly sludge on the screen, brake cleaner was the best way to blast it off. I may be off base, a belt chirp doesn't sound anything like pump cavation under load. Just know a flush alone may not be enough.
I used a suction tool from harbor freight, the giant syringe looking thing keeps things neat under the hood.

CNRED

Reaction score
Just replaced the steering box, hoses, and pump.
For me the best tip I received was how to remove air from all the lines, box and pump. Use a floor jack under the crossmember plate. Raise the front wheels off the ground, remove the cap and fill to where you can see fluid, (not to the fill line) and turn wheels to left and right to lock 15 or 20 times with the engine off. Fill to cold fill line, place the cap on and start the engine. It may take muscle but it seems fool proof. Didn't waste time with vacuum tools or anything else. You can flush the system by doing the same thing with the return line disconnected until clean power steering fluid appears. Use power steering fluid not tranny fluid. If changing the pump invest in the pulley tool W89708. Other wise you will destroy the pulley and it makes it simple to reinstall on the new pump. Don't use a hammer.