Power Steering Cooler (In-Frame, '97 K2500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a '97 K2500 with a snow plow on the front. We've had larger-than-usual snowfall here--this was the perfect time to get a plow.

Seller tells me there's a power steering fluid leak. He's already replaced the pump/reservoir, and a couple of hoses to the Hydroboost. Still leaving puddles and moaning. Empties the reservoir in half-an-hour or less. Puddles are just behind the front bumper, directly under the left tow-hook attaching bolts.

So I find out that GM hides a "power steering cooler" INSIDE the frame rail, where it's impossible to remove without taking off the bumper. It's a real mess, and being a plow-truck, everything is corroded to death. I've already broken the two bolts that hold the right-side tow hook. And this "cooler" is nothing more than a long 3/8 (or 10mm) steel tube bent back and forth a few times with zero cooling fins attached.

Turns out, the moron that installed the snow plow mount used cheap (Grade 5) bolts that are WAY too long. These bolts do double-duty, they are some of the fasteners that attach the mount, but they also retain the tow hooks. The bolts are long enough that they're pushing on the tubing "cooler" inside the frame rail. Either the tubing wore through from contact with the bolts, or the stress of being pushed on caused the tubing to crack.

I cut the tubing a couple inches from the outlet fitting of the PS gear, wire-brushed the nut-and-tube at the PS gear to remove dirt and sludge, removed the nut-and tubing section. Put the tubing-and-nut in a double-flaring tool, but squeezed it only enough to form a "bead" on the end of the tube to retain a length of hose. Verified the O-ring seal was still usable. Bypassed the cooler with a foot or so of POWER STEERING HOSE (NOT fuel hose Fuel hose can't take the heat of a PS return system) and clamped the other end of the hose to the return tube of the PS pump reservoir. Used "14-16" Fuel Injection clamps as they clamp tight AND don't tend to damage the hose the way cheap "Breeze" worm-gear clamps do.

No more leak. No more cooler, either--which will have to change sometime later in the spring. In that it's still well below freezing here, and the truck is run for about fifteen minutes to half-an-hour at a time at low speed (plowing) I'm not horribly concerned with PS fluid overheating. Summer may be a different matter.

Who the hell thought a PS cooler should live inside the frame rail?

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gm
Had the same leak and felt the same way when mine leaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
GM also used a better cooler.... which is what mine has. It's behind the grill. I'm not sure if it's available from anyone but Dorman, However.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh the AC Delco is still available, that good. I'm kind surprised it's not much more than the Dorman, but the Dorman is kinda expensive.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who the hell thought a PS cooler should live inside the frame rail?

Some one who was looking for job security for techs im guessing. I'm a strong believer in engineers should have to work on the stuff before they are allowed to design it. At work one of the reefer units we work on the only easy way to get to one service valves on the compressor is to remove the battery(which is a chore in itself) or from the back of the unit when it is not installed on anything.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if they are the same, but my Tahoe Limited has a factory power steering cooler and it is mounted behind the grille next to the radiator on the driver's side rather than inside a frame rail. Looks like the Dorman/AC Delco ones above. Should be a good alternative and it's pretty straightforward to get to.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My K2500 has an auxiliary fan on the right side, and an engine oil cooler on the left. The Dorman/Delco cooler won't fit on top of the oil cooler.

I do have an aftermarket fluid-to-air trans cooler that I can fit above the oil cooler using the same bracket as the oil cooler. Eventually I'll pop that into place and plumb it with some combination of tubing and hose.

I need to replace the grille--it's all busted-up--so when I find another, I'll slap the re-purposed trans cooler into place while the old grille is removed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My K2500 has an auxiliary fan on the right side, and an engine oil cooler on the left. The Dorman/Delco cooler won't fit on top of the oil cooler.

My oil cooler was internal to the radiator... is yours off to the side or in front of the radiator? My PS cooler is off to the side.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Power steering cooler on my 3500 is quite far outboard on the drivers side. The truck is also equipped with aux trans cooler and aux cooling fan.

I want to say that the power steering cooler is mounted on the core support, not in front of the radiator or AC condenser.