Power seat switch help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stealthdude

Reaction score
At risk of sounding absolutely stupid… Does that one motor control the Up down front back and tilt motions? I couldn’t find another other than that lumbar control

I am just shocked that there is power in and out but no noise or even an effort to move in any direction

Stealthdude

Reaction score
Maybe more important question his what’s the best morbid to get that replacement motor? Seems discontinued when I look online?
Just eBay/ NOS resources, or is there a replacement part?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check the wiring from the switch to the motor. Sometimes 'stuff' under the seat can mess with things.
Clean the contacts. Look for pulled or broken wires.
If all is good, check the switch itself. Could be, may be, that something got spilled on the switch? Soda. Coffee. It happens. That'll gunk up the contacts.
Those switches do break. The 6-way more often than not can be problematic, especially that center 4-way toggle. The return springs inside can break or they can just get tired. The switches can also break at the pivot inside. The switch contacts are bad for getting gummed up with stuff, too.
The pins on the back of the switch can break.
Gunk on the pins will prevent a complete circuit. Those pins can break off inside the female connector. They'll still be there, just no worky. Maybe occasionally, but not consistently.
The wires can break off from their connections inside that female receiver.
Many times, those switches aren't worth dickin' around with.
I don't believe that they're available from GM anymore.
Best repair for them?
Find an Escalade at the wreckers or any other top end equipped model of a GMT400 with a power'd passenger seat & grab that switch. Passenger = much less usage.
GM also used the same switch in many other vehicles of the era, too.
But only after going through everything else first.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Maybe more important question his what’s the best morbid to get that replacement motor? Seems discontinued when I look online?
Just eBay/ NOS resources, or is there a replacement part?
GM used the motors across many models over a long period of production.
Stupid $$$ from GM.
Get one from a passenger seat at the wreckers. Better yet, grab all three.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
At risk of sounding absolutely stupid… Does that one motor control the Up down front back and tilt motions? I couldn’t find another other than that lumbar control

I am just shocked that there is power in and out but no noise or even an effort to move in any direction
Three motors + lumbar pump.
Back-n-forth.
Rear up/down.
Front up/down.

My seats came out of a Denali that had been sunk in a 6' deep water-filled ditch, then left for a year in the owner's back yard with the windows rolled up.
The mold had a heartbeat!
The seat motors were seized with corrosion. Both seats.
Nothing worked.
Ended up re-wiring from the switch to the motors.
The motors were dis-assembled & the rotors & stators polished with Crocus cloth.
They now work as new.
You may be in for some work to get your seat up & running again!

Stealthdude

Reaction score
Thanks for the details.
I actually get power out from the switch ( to the connector lead to the motor) when I engage the switch to an “on position”.

I wasn’t able to conveniently test at the motor but no noise or even attempt to move occurred when power is applied so I don’t honk it is a cleaning exercise or I would anticipate hearing an engagement type sound?

My takeaway is the switch is good then but the motor/s is bad? Do you agree or no?

I am ok without the lumbar pump

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Do you have the seat out of the truck?
4 bolts & a harness to unplug.
The motors are pretty simple to work on.
They can be powered up on the bench with a booster box or a battery + a couple of jump wires.
I'd pull one apart & take a look.
Not much to wear out. Maybe the brushes somewhat. The springs holding those may have gotten stuck in place or lost some of their tension.
Electrical current between dissimilar metals = galvanic corrosion. Moisture, even ambient, causes that crud to grow like mold. It gets into every nook & cranny while the motors look fine on the outside.
Give the motors a good tap or two with a small hammer. May be enough to break them loose.
Just taking mine apart & giving everything a good drying out & some scrubbing got 'em up & going.

Stealthdude

Reaction score
Good thinking on all three. Maybe I will try and replace the switch but no have not taken out of the vehicle yet. I may run a jumper and see if V I can get it to move that way. Or disassemble it