Power drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turboman93

Reaction score
I'm looking at the grounding straps and they look like the Statue of Liberty. I'm going to replace the grounds on the truck and then see what we're dealing with.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also take a look at your mounting bolts, soak them in some CLR and clean the mounting bracket as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

turboman93

Reaction score
OK, sorry to wait so long to add to this again. I've had the grounding straps replaced and some added. The truck is performing much better all around since that was done. Yes, I had it done. I live in the suburbs and my driveway is a 25 degree incline into the garage so working on the truck is difficult at best if I need to lift it off the ground. One of the issues that has seemingly resolved itself was the 2 - 3 shift not working in all conditions. If I gave the throttle anymore than 50% it wouldn't shift into 3rd gear unless I completely dumped throttle and waited a second for the transmission to shift. That seems to have gone away. It would always downshift into 2nd and easily upshift back into 3rd. It would only occur during straight accelerations.

The other oddity was the cigarette lighter. I have a car charger splitter that would give you the voltage of the vehicle. This has always read low, ie. like 10-11 volts. This was always a concern but as I was measuring the volt at the battery and alternator, I was seriously concerned. Well over the Thanksgiving holiday the cigarette lighter port just stopped working. It was showing less and less voltage to the point that it would barely power on the dash cam or bluetooth FM transmitter. Tuesday night, I pulled the ashtray out as the dome lights still worked so it wasn't a fuse issue. The connector was barely making connection but I need to check power anyway. The connector was getting the full power from the system, so I check continuity from the post to the inside of the port. The meter showed that is was connecting but kind of scratchy. I have this awesome stuff called DeoxIT. If you're doing any electronics work on trucks this old, you should have a can of this around. There was some oxidation inside the port and on the connector itself. I sprayed that on the connector, the post on the rear of the port and the inside as well. Once I put everything back together, I was showing a full 13.5V at the port.

I know this is such a small thing and there are much bigger issues that guys are working on with their trucks. This was something that was making my OCD tick and was a small but very annoying problem. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and help.

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue as far as the gauge being wildly off from what the battery and alternator are reading. I’ve seen a few videos where the guys are changing the wire that runs from the battery to the fuse panel ultimately being monitored by the gauge. They upgrade it to 1/0 gauge wire and it fixes the problem for them. The gauge reads a hell of a lot closer to what it should be. Does this sound like it could be a solution?