Power door locks not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My lighter and light for the ashtray still works since I took delivery in 96. I have no power locks or windows, just 5.7 Vortec power. But that comment does not help Hotwheels. Sad

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you were going there. I popped the AUX input fuse, not sure which one now. But it was tied into the OBD II input. Could not check for codes. Drove me Mental for two years, until I figured it out. Way before I had Google and this Outstanding forum. All Good

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The manual shows circuit breaker ‘A’ (top left) supplying the relay and being a 30A except for regular and extended cabs. The 30A looks correct, then. Try swapping it with the one below.

It’s odd that the locks cycled…maybe it triggered the control module into doing something or somehow proving that it and the relay work. For Suburbans/Tahoes it locks the cargo doors if a lock command is issued when they are open. Doors close, it locks them.

No idea how that functions with a crew cab, though.

I’d try swapping the door switch from your Suburban in and seeing if it works. No idea if they’re the same, but bet they are.

Here are the diagnostics from a 98 manual along with page three of the schematic that I forgot to include earlier.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Do you keep change in the ashtray?
No, nothing in the ashtray. And none of us smoke so all the ports get used for is phone charging occasionally. And the charger gets unplugged when a device isn't hooked up to it(I'm real picky about that since those plugs are hot all the time.).

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The manual shows circuit breaker ‘A’ (top left) supplying the relay and being a 30A except for regular and extended cabs. The 30A looks correct, then. Try swapping it with the one below.

It’s odd that the locks cycled…maybe it triggered the control module into doing something or somehow proving that it and the relay work. For Suburbans/Tahoes it locks the cargo doors if a lock command is issued when they are open. Doors close, it locks them.

I’d try swapping the door switch from your Suburban in and seeing if it works. No idea if they’re the same, but bet they are.

Here are the diagnostics from a 98 manual along with page three of the schematic that I forgot to include earlier.

Another thing about this truck: it has an alarm on it, that apparently was installed right after it was originally purchased. The remotes don't work, and as long as no one disconnects the battery, it behaves. Disconnect either battery terminal, and to start(or even crank) it, you have to find and use the magic button. I haven't had the battery disconnected since before our trip last weekend though, and everything worked fine until a couple of days ago.
I'm glad to have the diagnostic chart, because the body stuff is in book 4 of the '99 manuals and that's the volume I'm missing. And I haven't found paper copies of the '97 manuals (2 volumes for gas pickups) that I can afford.....

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing about this truck: it has an alarm on it, that apparently was installed right after it was originally purchased. The remotes don't work, and as long as no one disconnects the battery, it behaves. Disconnect either battery terminal, and to start(or even crank) it, you have to find and use the magic button. I haven't had the battery disconnected since before our trip last weekend though, and everything worked fine until a couple of days ago.
I'm glad to have the diagnostic chart, because the body stuff is in book 4 of the '99 manuals and that's the volume I'm missing. And I haven't found paper copies of the '97 manuals (2 volumes for gas pickups) that I can afford.....
Maybe one of the members pays for All Data. and has your Ride, but he or she is just not cruising on the forum right now. Too help out?

HHoldred88

Reaction score
my 1988 locks weren't working when I bought it. Bought 1 switch and tried it first on driver's side, still didn't work then passenger side, didn't work. Bought the second switch and they started working again with 2 new switches. Both switches have to be good for them to work. That's how it was on my truck ,might not workwith yours