Power Brake Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm pretty sure this is a bad booster. I may just put the old one back on tomorrow to make sure the pedal return is not an issue with the brakes and is the booster.

I really wanted to know if the air noise is normal or not. It could be and I just never noticed it. I've really not been sure.

Well keep us posted. Good luck

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
The air noise is not normal and a sign of a failed booster. I also just had to replace the one on my burb. It started hissing one day and the truck wouldnt hardly stop. It sounds to me like you got a bad one. If I held the brakes down for a while the truck would almost stall out, hesitate then pick up and go. I watched a video where a mechanic put a obd2 computer on it and watched the data, I can't exactly remember what, maybe ST or LT Fuel trims but while the brake was pressed the numbers climb all the way to 100% and when he let off the brake it fell on its face. This was what he used to diagnose it as the booster one other way than by just the hissing.

Al

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's help but I am still on the fence here.

Does your brake booster make this noise when you push the brake pedal?
I used this video with the truck off as you can hear it clearly

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It appears this noise is normal. Thanks to anyone that replied.

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the booster supposed to be hissing inside the engine bay when I press the pedal?

Just installed a Cardone Reman and the pedal returns to the top really slowly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.[/QUOTE
Try the simple fix first and do a 4 wheel bleed and check for leaks. if the problem persists check your master cylinder for pressure, if pressure is low replace the master. If pressure is ok and wheels have been bled and no leaks then swap the booster. Also be certain your rotors are smooth because of grinder and chewed up your pads can stick. Also the caliper pistons can stick and sieze up if the pads are too worn.