Power after ignition turned off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen bad head units cause this, drawing power from the constant 12V line when they're not supposed to. Internal short of some kind.

I've also seen amplifier turn-on relays go bad and cause it. This probably isn't your issue though considering you're only running one amp.

I'd check wiring like everyone else says. If that doesn't fix it, try a different head unit. Maybe borrow one from a buddy for testing purposes before you spend any money on a new one.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Finding out if they rigged them would be the easy part, the CD player would be the easiest to fix, the windows and wipers would be more involved since there's a chance you'd have to rip apart the door panel and column trim/dash to get to the wiring

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update.. Sorry its been a few weeks. So I discovered when I pull the CTSY fuse all power that was on when the key was off turns off. However with this fuse pulled out, I loose all memory to my head unit. So now I atleast have it halfway figured :banghead:

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I honestly should have referenced back to this thread when I started trying to fix the issue 4 years later. You all were correct in diagnosing the problem as some janked up wiring in the head unit. I feel like a DA. But the problem is fixed! I forgot all the helpful suggestions yall made because it was so long ago and I went without working on the truck for a few years.

A huge shout out to all you guys, and @AK49BWL for helping fixing something that I should have looked at the big picture and a more simple diagnosis.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/symptoms-of-a-malfunctioning-fuse-block.49219/

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out!

Thanks man, I invested in a power probe and Volt meter, as well as a subscription to Alldata DIY for the diagrams like you said. Those things are well worth the money and I am much more confident in dealing with electrical stuff now. But hopefully I have all the boogers solved in this truck now.