Post your GMT400 with a classic vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Gorgeous car you have there sixspeedss! I hope to get mine there soon.
I am not going for the modern car feel with mine. I want it to feel period correct with just a few slight safety modifications.
I'm old enough to have owned and driven, low mileage, not that old, muscle cars. This was a time that way before hotchkis suspensions, big brakes, and all of that.
I did go with OEM front disc brakes, OEM boxed rear lower control arms, OEM rear sway bar, and new OEM rear coils from a Lemans wagon (raises rear about an inch).
The car has a nice 1" rake to it even though the suspension is OEM. Of course, the car has aftermarket wheels.
Here is a pic of it right before I started the body work. I drove it in primer for quite a few years.
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like I may have to go with a little more tire in the rear.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've been around early ('64-'67) GTOs all my life. My father did a bunch of restos back in the 80s and I was a teenager during that time. I won't say I live and breathe GTOs, but I've probably forgotten more than most people know about the early cars.

I did the frame off Reston my car over a period of two years, and it has been a work in progress since. I built it to drive and do not care about showing it. I'll take it to cruise nights once in a while, but rarely to a show. My goal was to have an above average driver and I think I nailed it (not trying to be cocky). The car also had to be very drive able and able to handle and stop like a modern car. With all the suspension/brake mods I have made I have succeeded. The last piece of the puzzle is the motor. I have a 455 at the machine shop now. I am looking to build a 400whp/550-600 ft lb mild street motor, all under the stock guise that the car presents, however nothing is really stock.

Here is a shot of the underside of my car...

Here is my site with more pics...

http://home.comcast.net/~sixspeedss/GTO1966.html

That is really really nice!!! I'd be happy if my '98's underside was to look that good! One day!

I'm pretty fluent in GTO speak (musclecars also),but it sounds like your friend lives and breaths GTO's.
I'm definitely not going 100 point restoration. I really never believed in trailer queens. Some of the rare cars are reserved for that.
I'm going for more of a restomod look. The car will be mostly stock except for wheels, no vinyl top, and it will have a Judge spoiler on it.
I will drive it but I may stay away from high traffic areas.
I found this pic about a year after I tore down my GTO. It is what I had imagined mine to look like. This guy beat me to the punch but I'm still going in that direction anyway.

Notice the front fender and rear deck lid "GTO" emblems are wrong. His are decals. Mine are the correct cast metal emblems.
Anyway, that's the look I'm shooting for.

I'm not usually a fan of silver. Had a square body that color & the truck was a nickel & dime me to death money pit.
But that I like! In that color, that car just looks so smooth!

Yea, I like GTO's! Almost bought a super nice one when I was a kid. '69 RAIII, 4 gear, 3.9's, that orange that Pontiac called red, white interior, endura bumper & hide-aways. One owner. Back in 1980, they could be had for cheap. Another one that I walked away from! Doh! But, hindsight is 20/20! Looked at several over the years, but never found 'the one'. These are the cars that I'm first drawn to, at the local cruises! Even seeing one in a shopping center lot, & I've gotta go look at it.
I know where there is a '70, RAIV 4 speed ragtop. It too has the endura & hide-aways. Under a rag of a cover just sitting in a driveway, rotting away. Needs a full resto. I know it's been there for at least 15 years! Think the guy would sell it? Nope! It's for 'one day...'! What a waste!

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I too have owned and walked away from a few that I should have kept or purchased.
Classic example: I once owned, for a very short time, a triple black 1966 Corvette 427 convertible. It was a 390HP, M21 4 speed car I picked up as a half done (previous owner) project. I finished it and insured it for one month. I was under 25 years old so the insurance company raked me over the coals. I couldn't afford to insure it. I ended up selling it for a fairly nice profit. If I would have kept it until recently.......my profit would have tripled if not quadrupled.
Like you said, hind sight is 20/20.

Well sewlow58, here comes my "GTO speak". Please, take no offense.
1970 GTO's did not have hide-aways:

I once owned a '70 similar to this one. They all had fixed headlights.
'68 and '69 were the only years for hide-aways but the '70 did have the RAIV available ('69 and '70 only).
1970 was also the first year for the 455 engine in the GTO.

If it's a numbers matching 1969 RAIV/4speed rag top your watching rot away, they are super rare.
I'd be visiting him everyday until he got so sick of me, he'd sell the car to me just to get rid of me.
That GTO would become a 100 point trailer queen.

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread with all the GTO talk.

Last edited:

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gorgeous car you have there sixspeedss! I hope to get mine there soon.
I am not going for the modern car feel with mine. I want it to feel period correct with just a few slight safety modifications.
I'm old enough to have owned and driven, low mileage, not that old, muscle cars. This was a time that way before hotchkis suspensions, big brakes, and all of that.
I did go with OEM front disc brakes, OEM boxed rear lower control arms, OEM rear sway bar, and new OEM rear coils from a Lemans wagon (raises rear about an inch).
The car has a nice 1" rake to it even though the suspension is OEM. Of course, the car has aftermarket wheels.
Here is a pic of it right before I started the body work. I drove it in primer for quite a few years.

It looks like I may have to go with a little more tire in the rear.

Thanks for the compliment. Just so you know, I restored my car completely stock and drove it for a year or two. It was such a rattle trap and horribly handling car that I took the entire suspension back out and started over. When i originally put the car together, i used all moog items and everything was brand new. When i re did the car, all bushings are Global West del a lum, I used GWs lowering springs and rear lower control arms, as well as KYB shocks, a 1.25" front sway bar and a set of '69 GP disc brakes (not a modern kit, but OEM original parts removed from a car in the early 80s). I have also added a '98 Grand Cherokee steering box and adapted the OEM steering pump to use the metric lines.

The car is a night and day difference and now the limit is the garbage BFG T/A 15" tires and the stock motor will not get you in trouble. I was originally going to do disc brakes on the back, but the car stops well enough for me. I would like to upgrade to some R compound tires, but sizing is limited for 15" wheels. My whole intent was to keep the car appearing stock, but having a much higher level of performance.

I do some work on a '67 GTO convertible for a guy. It is a really nice car, but drive them back to back and I don't understand why so many people want to drive these cars with bias ply tires and drum brakes. No wonder so many of these cars were destroyed back in the day.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I too have owned and walked away from a few that I should have kept or purchased.
Classic example: I once owned, for a very short time, a triple black 1966 Corvette 427 convertible. It was a 390HP, M21 4 speed car I picked up as a half done (previous owner) project. I finished it and insured it for one month. I was under 25 years old so the insurance company raked me over the coals. I couldn't afford to insure it. I ended up selling it for a fairly nice profit. If I would have kept it until recently.......my profit would have tripled if not quadrupled.
Like you said, hind sight is 20/20.

Well sewlow58, here comes my "GTO speak". Please, take no offense.
1970 GTO's did not have hide-aways:

I once owned a '70 similar to this one. They all had fixed headlights.
'68 and '69 were the only years for hide-aways but the '70 did have the RAIV available ('69 and '70 only).
1970 was also the first year for the 455 engine in the GTO.

If it's a numbers matching 1969 RAIV/4speed rag top your watching rot away, they are super rare.
I'd be visiting him everyday until he got so sick of me, he'd sell the car to me just to get rid of me.
That GTO would become a 100 point trailer queen.

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread with all the GTO talk.

It's been a couple of years or more since I've seen that GTO with the cover off.
Yes! That Is the same front end it has. My mistake!
Believe me, I know it's rare, but the last time I was there, I swear that the owner was getting ready to load up the 12gauge! He was getting pretty pissed at me buggin' him! One way to chase people off!
The thing is, it's right close to main highway, but you practically have to be on top of it, to even know it's there, or what it is. Hidden behind 30 years of 'stuff'!

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years or more since I've seen that GTO with the cover off.
Yes! That Is the same front end it has. My mistake!
Believe me, I know it's rare, but the last time I was there, I swear that the owner was getting ready to load up the 12gauge! He was getting pretty pissed at me buggin' him! One way to chase people off!
The thing is, it's right close to main highway, but you practically have to be on top of it, to even know it's there, or what it is. Hidden behind 30 years of 'stuff'!

That's too bad.
The guy needs to 100 point restore it or sell it to someone who will give it the love it deserves.
I hate seeing or hearing about rare cars that are rotting away.