Possible Rod Knock

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the PO just added oil when he heard the knock.

Chicken and egg.
Did the oil that came out look new like it was recently changed? I'm wondering if someone changed the oil and overfilled it at that point. Gross overfilling can damage pistons and/or rings. Damaged piston skirt and some slap from it?

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used those band clamps, they work great. I've got a knock when its cold but its the crankshaft hitting the oil pan as we didn't pound out the oil pan enuff when installing the 383 stroker. Not sure that would be the case with your 454, but might be worth putting your stethescope on the back of the oil pan.

Btw- I used to tow with a 1988 Burb with a 454 and I found that the 383 has gots more power.

1952Chevy

Reaction score
Chicken and egg.
Did the oil that came out look new like it was recently changed? I'm wondering if someone changed the oil and overfilled it at that point. Gross overfilling can damage pistons and/or rings. Damaged piston skirt and some slap from it?

It wasn't a recent oil change. Looked like your average 3-5k mile oil. Unfortunately I'm going on vacation and won't be able to dig deeper for a few weeks. I'm eager to get back and dig into it more.

kenh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A connecting rod will knock when the engine is in a "float' mode. Not accelerating or decelerating. You can test that by lightly accelerating and decelerating. As the engines passes through the float you will hear the rod or rods knock. Main bearing will knock under load.

Ken

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What about top end problems... broken rocker arm, bent P/R, collapsed lifter, etc?