What do you all think?

• Good Buy...Get it!!!!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Be careful, could be good or bad

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Money Pit, keep looking

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
I did end up posting it in the wrong spot the first time so please delete my other post if necessary.

I have been looking on and off for a cheaper GMT400 and ran across this one Saturday. It is a 2000 GMC K3500 RCLB with 196,000 miles, 5.7l and 4l80e. The truck has been sitting for 2 years because he purchased a new one and no longer needed this one. It has its issues the engine is in need of a decent tune up and it supposedly slips in and out of 4th gear on the transmission, can only go about 45 mph. I am looking for it to be my second vehicle "Tow Pig" and have it to pull a 18' utility trailer every now and then. The best part is he is letting it go for a $1000 even, has a clean title and very little rust. Could the problem with the transmission be something as simple as a fluid change and a new solenoid? What do you all think?

If I were to get it plans would include...
-Rust repair
-Cab lights
-Tow Mirrors
-My favorite rims PYO!!!
-Tool box, Bed liner

Thanks to all in advance, Ben

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much are you going to tow?

The factory trailer weight limit on the 350 is around 7,000-lbs. A 454 would get you closer to 10,000.

I'd go over it very well. If it's been sitting for two years (why?), has engine issues and the transmission is slipping, I would budget at least $2k for repairs and incidentals depending on how much you want to fix it up. Plus new tires, too, probably?

I'd take it to a reputable transmission shop and have them give you their opinion.

Rust repair can be a can of worms sometimes, but I'm sure you are limited in your options being up north.

Good luck, hope it works out, the truck looks like it has potential. The PYO rims were always my favorite on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your tranny description sounds typical of the torque converter slipping. On the 4L80E it has an input and output sensor and if it sees more than 30 rpm difference it will kick out OD. You should be able to get drive without converter lock up though by manually shifting.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Id buy it. Give it a good tune up, fluid changes all around, and worst case scenario, replace the trans. These trucks are getting hard to find and expensive, this looks to be in pretty decent shape so even if it doesnt pan out you should be close to breaking even if not making money on it. Especially if you only have to replace the converter to get the trans straightened out.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Thank-you all for the responses.

To answer a few of your questions...
I would be towing a 18' trailer with a few garden tractors or a small compact tractor. I wouldnt be pulling anything over 7000lb guaranteed.
The owner sent me some more pictures of the body and frame. They both are in good condition considering I am in Wisconsin, only serious rust is the cab corners which is an easy fix for me not too worried.

I would really like to see it in person and test drive it but it's 2 hrs away and if I drive that far I will more than likely end up coming home with it so I want to make sure it's the one. I talked to one of my good friends and whenever I do go down to look at it we are going to take his Duramax and my trailer because it would be a long trip back only doing about 50 mph.

If I were to get the truck how hard would it be to replace the torque converter? Would you go used or new? I have had no experience removing a transmission but I have removed my T-Case in the Burb a few times so I am willing to give it a try.

Whenever I do go what are some key things to look out for when it comes to a gmt400 with 196k miles that would make or break a deal?

Ben

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank-you all for the responses.

If I were to get the truck how hard would it be to replace the torque converter? Would you go used or new? I have had no experience removing a transmission but I have removed my T-Case in the Burb a few times so I am willing to give it a try.

Whenever I do go what are some key things to look out for when it comes to a gmt400 with 196k miles that would make or break a deal?

Ben

If I were in your situation I would first and foremost look for rust. If the engine isn't trash a transmission job might be the cost of doing business for a long time. Sure you might spend some money on it ... but how much more would a brand new $60,000 truck haul? I have two criteria, it must run and drive well and the AC must work! Everything else is details. In the end you will have a truck you are happy with.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Thanks for the response but I did end up letting that truck go, it needed much too much work and I didn't have the time or want to get it going. However this past October I located my dream truck and when it starts getting warmer I will start doing updates and creating a build thread. I bought a 1995 Chevy K2500 with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. It currently just flipped 144k miles and I bought it from the original owner who ordered it with the Silverado package (Power windows, locks, A/C, etc) you can kind of see it in my signature next to my Suburban. I only Paid $2400, it needs work but something I have always wanted. More to come on a different Thread.

Last edited: