Possible frame damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green961500

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post I bought a 1996 chevy 1500 extended cab short bed 1 month ago and now im really worried I think I might have frame damage I ran a carfax last night on it and it was involved in a accident 5 years ago it was rear ended I crawled under the truck to take a better look at the frame and found a spot that doesn't look right to me I don't know if I'm paranoid now or what the truck drives straight down the road even with my hands of the wheel. Didn't really know where to post this thread so if im in the wrong place I do apologize

Attachments

• 20230318_082812.jpg
    20230318_082812.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230318_082908.jpg
    20230318_082908.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230318_085010.jpg
    20230318_085010.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230318_085056.jpg
    20230318_085056.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 36

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a bit of a wrinkle there. Frame metal is very soft. If it drives straight I’d not be concerned. If it bothers you a minute with a hammer & dolly will straighten that right out. I’d certainly inspect every inch of the frame to be sure that’s the only area though.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Hammer and dolly and don't lose any sleep over it. Our trucks came from the factory with adjustable camber and toe because the construction tolerances weren't great. You're very probably still within the margin of error. If you're really worried, have a buddy drive behind you and let you know if it's dog-tracking.

If it is crooked, there are body shops that have frame pullers, but expect to pay not-worth-it-unless-it's-cherry prices.

green961500

Reaction score
Definitely a bit of a wrinkle there. Frame metal is very soft. If it drives straight I’d not be concerned. If it bothers you a minute with a hammer & dolly will straighten that right out. I’d certainly inspect every inch of the frame to be sure that’s the only area though.
Thanks for the reply the truck drives straight as an arrow it had me pretty worried not gonna lie the rest of the frame looks nice

green961500

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply the truck drives straight as an arrow it had me pretty worried not gonna lie the rest of the frame looks
Yup. Hammer and dolly and don't lose any sleep over it. Our trucks came from the factory with adjustable camber and toe because the construction tolerances weren't great. You're very probably still within the margin of error. If you're really worried, have a buddy drive behind you and let you know if it's dog-tracking.

If it is crooked, there are body shops that have frame pullers, but expect to pay not-worth-it-unless-it's-cherry prices.
Thanks for the reply buddy it had me pretty worried I had someone follow me truck drives super straight