Posi/LSD or open diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grey wolf

Reaction score
Well, not sure what kind of diff you guys were talking about. I was referring to this one. As far as I remember, no clutch packs in these, just the locking mechanism. This video explains how they work:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As you can see, they are made of some pretty small parts.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well, not sure what kind of diff you guys were talking about. I was referring to this one. As far as I remember, no clutch packs in these, just the locking mechanism. This video explains how they work:

The clutches are for the locking mechanism. They don't affect the axle shafts directly. The axle shafts are either locked or unlocked.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score

This the same diff as the one in the video link that I posted .(post#21) It most definitely has clutches in it.
The guy in your video glosses over the way the diff works, he states that the governor spins and causes the diff to lock but fails to explain how that occurs.Watch the video that I posted and you will see that there are clutches in the G-80 diff.i

grey wolf

Reaction score
Ah, my mistake! I should have watched your video. Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing clutch packs in those things, but clearly they are there. Chalk it up to memory loss as I get older I guess...

Thanks for clearing that up though, I'm sure everyone else appreciates the correct information as well. I will try to be more careful about what I post in the future.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The reason folks think that the G-80 gov-loc does not have clutches is that they are hidden inside the carrier and G-80's are a pain to totally disassemble.