Polishing chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the previous owner of my truck plasti dipped the bullet holes black, but i like chrome better so decided to strip it off, but i started a couple of months ago but never finished due to having other stuff going on but finally i got the chance to start back on cleaning them up. I bought some turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover and i think it turned out pretty good (i’ve never polished anything in my life) the only thing i hate is the wheels have some pitting.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also is there any way i could fix where the chrome is pitted?
Not really. All you can do is kill the rust with something like navel jelly, then polish it back out. The pits are where the rust was eating away the metal. It would have to be fill welded, grind smooth to a fine polish, then rechromed. Your rims came out nice. Thats about all you can do short of doing some more polish work to blend it out better. For that you need some brown tripoli and white jewelers rouge, a few cotton buffs, and a polisher.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really. All you can do is kill the rust with something like navel jelly, then polish it back out. The pits are where the rust was eating away the metal. It would have to be fill welded, grind smooth to a fine polish, then rechromed. Your rims came out nice. Thats about all you can do short of doing some more polish work to blend it out better. For that you need some brown tripoli and white jewelers rouge, a few cotton buffs, and a polisher.
Thank you.What is the price range to get them fill welded and rechromed? I was trying to look into it the other day but did not really find anything, if it’s too much I’d probably just get some new rims later down the road but for now i think they look a hell of a lot better than they did

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would cost more to fill weld ,and rechrome them than to buy a set of new rims. Summit racing has a large selection, and you may be able to find those same rims on there web sight. Thoese are not an OE rim, they are an after market rim.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This looks like yours.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This looks like yours.
I looked up the one you got and this one came up too which they are the same things just the little rivets or whatever you wanna call them are black which are the same as mine, i have been searching and searching to find out what rim i got and I believe you found it!! Thank you sir for finding my rims!!

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked up the one you got and this one came up too which they are the same things just the little rivets or whatever you wanna call them are black which are the same as mine, i have been searching and searching to find out what rim i got and I believe you found it!! Thank you sir for finding my rims!!

Here is the pic I forgot to add it and it wont let me edit

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, actually I’m not sure which is it i noticed the one you posted has the little black rivets too, so I’m not sure which one is the same as mine

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This looks like yours.
Yeah i think you are right kenny I believe the ones you chose match better, but i noticed the load rating on them is only 2000lbs, do i have anything to worry about with that? The trucks gvw is 8600lbs