Po340 97 Silverado 4.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Rawls

Reaction score
check engine light is on. Code is po340. I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and replaced the distributor, new rotor, cap, and camshaft position sensor! Engine starts fine , idles fine. If you slowly press the accelerator no issues. But if you press down fast stumbles, and shuts off. Any help is appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you've replaced the cam sensor already then I would suspect a wiring issue.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you have the problem before swapping the distributor and camshaft position sensor?

The code means that the VCM isn’t getting a signal from the sensor. So, it’s either a bum part (especially if this started after replacing the distributor) or a wiring issue like df said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Rawls

Reaction score
Did you have the problem before swapping the distributor and camshaft position sensor?

The code means that the VCM isn’t getting a signal from the sensor. So, it’s either a bum part (especially if this started after replacing the distributor) or a wiring issue like df said above.

Yes I had this problem. Just bought the truck and guy said the camshaft position sensor needed replacing. So I just bought a new distributor and also replaced the crankshaft position sensor also. Same issue

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the diagnostic tables for P0340 for a 98 350. I’m not sure if it’s good for a 4.3L but would think that it would be. Hope it helps.

You must be registered for see images attach