Plus Sized Grandpa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
New to the forum. Glad to have this resource!

Picked up this new to me old grandpa truck back on Jan 19 2020. My first ever domestic vehicle. (And I've owned 20+ cars/trucks)

The truck is a 1999 Chevrolet K2500 crew cab short bed. Tan on gray interior.

180k, 480le, 8 lug, 7.4L etc etc.

Was looking for a 3/4 ton crew 4x4 for a couple months and really wanted a gmt400 for the looks but did not think it was wise to go with a long bed with as much city driving as I do.

Almost ended up with a gmt800 6.0L crew but found this one in the nick of time before I did something stupid.

This truck is a 3 owner farm/fleet truck from best I can tell. Pretty straight less a dent in the pass rear corner under the tail light and some other dings here n there. No rust to speak of at all which was a big deal.

Was pretty clean all in all and I don't think I overpaid so I was happy with the purchase.

I have already committed the cardinal sin of buying/building used cars and already have either spent or planned to spend more than the purchase price in upgrades and maintenance. But had a total budget on this project that I think I can still stay under so that's the big thing.

Hoping to get the vast majority of the build done within 2 months of purchase so this thread should move pretty quickly at the outset.

Attached are some pics from the evening it got home from purchase. Otherwise, on to the build!

You must be registered for see images attach

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Quickly broke into some maintenance as the coolant res looked to have a little grime and looked like old used coolant.

Immediately did:

- comprehensive underbody and engine bay clean
- water pump
- thermostat
- thermostat housing
- upper and lower rad hoses
- coolant filler neck from block to WP hose
- coolant temp sensor
- coolant temp sender unit
- new coolant reservoir
- coolant flush and bleed

Fan clutch looked good so didn't touch that. Also removed the hood insulation while in there so I could replace it. More on that later

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Also, a quick aside.

Track width front to rear on these 4wd trucks bothered me so I immediately ordered 2" hub centric spacers for the rear as I plan to keep these stock wheels and beauty rings for an oem+ look.

This is my PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Started by buying these units (pair) from Venom Wheel Accessories on Amazon.

This is how they arrived.

Dog ****. Sent them back and ordered some BORA's ($$ ouch!) But they're great quality I know from experience. Should be here next week. Long production lead times.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Taking an "inside out" approach to the initial build so naturally did a thorough clean first. Mainly for cleaning drains to ensure proper flow and no backups and cleaning out the evap core and hvac blower unit in the cab. Comprehensive vacuum and wipe down.

Then the real work began.

Thought long and hard about the carpet. Was not horrible but figured I would be into cleaning and recovering it as many hours as replacement.

So, I ordered an oem replacement pre-molded unit from stockinteriors.com in the oem silver with the extra plush and back matting.

Also did another layer of carpet/heat shield I got from Lmctruck.com while I was in there.

This was a big job as it turns out. These units come pretty molded but with a LOT of extra material so get ready to trim ad infinitum.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
These Last couple also give away another planned mod which is the steering wheel swap.

I have a 2012 Malibu wheel I'm hoping yo swap over ASAP. The stock wheels on these trucks are lacking and I have decided I will never own another classic that I do no swap in a nicer later model leather steering wheel.

These are the most recent interior pics I have. Currently the passenger seat and bench are still out and drying from their shampoo job before going back in.

But I have already installed Weathertechs front and rear from a gmt400 Suburban which look great! Also bought the "over the hump" liner from Husky which I am thrilled with to a lesser extent but I will take anything that protects my new carpet and the time investment I have into that!

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Also replaced so far:

- both door dome light switches
- ignition tumbler assembly (gm jiggle)
- painted front inner fender wells
- k&n air filter
- Bushwacker bed rail protectors
- Chrome brush guard (oem style? Not sure on brand, BigTex?)

Have all of the below sitting waiting to go in:

- COMPLETE front end rebuild Moog
- Bushwacker tail gate protector
- Rough Country rear fender well liners (for NBS Chevy. 90% sure I can make these fit)
- Deezee gate assist (NBS truck more on this later)
- Tint
- Running boards (more on this later)
- Tires 295/75/16 for now
- OEM LED cab light kit amber
- New wheel beauty rings

Still deciding on:

- Mirrors (factory are almost inop)
- Running boards
- Audio
- Headache rack
- Projector headlights?

Suspension lift is looking more and more like RCX 6" (de-tuned to 4") with their steering damper kit. Not wild about this but whatever

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Very nice CCSB!

What kind of running boards we're you thinking of getting? I think the DeeZee stainless tube steps would look killer on your truck.

If you are wanting an off-road look, I'd recommend the Westin HDX headache rack. https://www.amazon.com/Westin-57-80...21?keywords=westin+hdx&qid=1581713000&sr=8-21

Here's what mine looks like with the rack:

Thank you. I really dig the push bar look on your pickup. I would definitely go that route if I had not found my brush guard for such a good price.

As for the running boards. I want a simple rectangular step. Hunting for some cast offs from a late model crew cab in black/chrome but having a hard time finding a set. Purchased a Lund mounting kit (what a strange mounting solution).

Does anyone know how the Rough Country units mount? Sure not like the Lund/oem kit does. Are they just drilled into the cab lowers?

The headache racks look so good. I think I'd like to color match one and have the brake and reverse LEDs in it as well. But they're pricey. May try to fab one one of these days if I can't find one for a decent price.