Plug wire woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a set of carquest plug wires on my 1995 chevrolet c2500 with the 5.7tbi and nv4500.
I was wondering why I had a steady stumble and last night I opened my hood and decided to check for a lightning show.
What I saw was 3 cylinders on the odd bank and 2 cylinders on the even bank arcing close to the plugs.
I inspected and found no burnt spots or cuts on the wires. The boots are all seated on the plugs with a CLICK and I even tried a little dielectric grease on the boots just to be sure.
Never had this problem before.

I'm looking at a set of acdelco and a set on ngk wires now (delco part# 9718D and ngk part# 51106).
I am also open to other brands and I always route my wires as the factory did (around and behind the heads)
Thank you

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Yeah, on most stuff I agree like ignition modules, suspension components, etc. But the cap and rotor that's delco is cheaply made as well

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oe stuff is best but some AC Delco stuff on the market is crap, had to fix 2 plugwires on a customer's truck they were brand new he put them on then had a phantom misfire. So just because it says AC Delco doesn't mean it's good.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a set of carquest plug wires on my 1995 chevrolet c2500 with the 5.7tbi and nv4500.
I was wondering why I had a steady stumble and last night I opened my hood and decided to check for a lightning show.
What I saw was 3 cylinders on the odd bank and 2 cylinders on the even bank arcing close to the plugs.
I inspected and found no burnt spots or cuts on the wires. The boots are all seated on the plugs with a CLICK and I even tried a little dielectric grease on the boots just to be sure.
Never had this problem before.

I'm looking at a set of acdelco and a set on ngk wires now (delco part# 9718D and ngk part# 51106).
I am also open to other brands and I always route my wires as the factory did (around and behind the heads)
Thank you
Rock Auto carries Untied Motor Products.Their tuneup kit PN 17818 is pretty tough to beat AT $ 38.89. They use United-Packard wires and the cap and rotor have brass contacts.
I have been using UMP tune up parts on all 5 of the GMT 400's that I maintain.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look into those that's a good deal if the quality is there

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On their website, Taylor does offer pre-made custom wires for a SBC at ~$100. For that price you can get crimpers and wires to make them yourself, ha ha. I paid $74 for the wires and $26 for the crimpers, plus tax of course.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 cylinders on the odd bank and 2 cylinders on the even bank arcing close to the plugs.
WHAT is arcing? The plug boot? The plug wire? The porcelain of the plug?

WHAT is it arcing TO? The exhaust manifold/header? The cylinder head? Some bracket?

I inspected and found no burnt spots or cuts on the wires.
What is the resistance of each wire, end-to-end? How long are the wires? (Resistance should increase with longer length.) Be careful, here. If it's defective plug wires, you should be seeing burnt insulation. The fact that you're not makes me wonder if the problem isn't something other than the plug wires.

I am also open to other brands
Most of my vehicles get Summit-brand "universal" wires. Spark plug boots factory-installed, wires are cut-to-fit at the distributor end. I install the distributor-cap ends on the custom-cut wires. The Summit plug wire kits even include the crimper tool. Made in USA.

www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-860825r

and I always route my wires as the factory did (around and behind the heads)
Important for all wires, but crucial for #5 and #7.