Please help! Running poorly. 454 7.4 94 suburban. No power. Need to tow and go!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesT

Reaction score
-as in previous threads, running a limping town vehicle. Leaving in a day.
Going to try a decent mechanic stateside.

Flat around here, so going slow is possible till can fix up.

Any help appreciated. Will post more about my vehicles to hopefully help others once they are running better.

Okay, going to try the throttle linkage trick.

Light still on, stalled today after running 5 minutes.

Replaced spark plugs with platinum, new cap and rotor.

Previous owner had massive spark plugs with an enormous gap. Like, .054. Could be that running that way for so long led to carbon and excessive buildup. Maybe my O2 sensor, is gummed up because I replaced that sometime ago and it ran great for a little bit.

Running out of options, set to leave here, but with a limping town vehicle. Oh, yah and my hydroboost is leaking, probably not good to tow with.

No mechanics around here that can help really. Anyone know of anyone in North Dakota with 90's GM/CHEV experience?

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Limping tow, should read limping tow vehicle.

Oh.... I thought maybe it was a vehicle you only drove in town normally.

I would not have started a new thread.... no history here.

What are massive spark plugs? Different length?

Has the "idle screw" been messed with? I've read that's something people will often try to adjust, and screw up. It's not supposed to be messed with.

Given that it runs for 5 minutes, that makes me think it might be heat related. Maybe see what the coolant temp sensor is doing?

I'm guessing here..... I have no TBI experience.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect throttle, cruise, and trans TV cable from throttle lever. See if idle becomes normal. If so, one or more cables may be worn/binding causing idle-speed issues. Throttle cable in particular, but cruise or TV cable can be potential problems, too.

jamesT

Reaction score
Oh.... I thought maybe it was a vehicle you only drove in town normally.

I would not have started a new thread.... no history here.

What are massive spark plugs? Different length?

Has the "idle screw" been messed with? I've read that's something people will often try to adjust, and screw up. It's not supposed to be messed with.

Given that it runs for 5 minutes, that makes me think it might be heat related. Maybe see what the coolant temp sensor is doing?

I'm guessing here..... I have no TBI experience.
New thread? I did something wrong. Just being a newb, maybe its cause I'm Canadian. Dunno.

Anyhoo, the spark plugs were an inch longer and the gap was at .054 as opposed to the .035 they should have been.

It would start quick but like a boom, as if the cylinder was filling up-like you left the lid down on the barbeque and forgot, the lit the match.

Definitely had some heat issues, but all sensors have been replaced.

I think your experience is greater than mine. I've only owned this truck about 10 months, it has sat for 8 of those months.