Please Help - Getting Codes after Cam Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an observation from an outsider to 0411 PCM and MAF controls, it sounds like your VE table(s) aren't giving you enough fuel. Your fuel pressure is low too exacerbating it even more. Is there a BPC you can adjust for these? Good luck!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update, I've been able to keep the CEL off; but I'm still getting DTC's - P0701, P0171, P0174. STFT are running 0-3%, but LTFT's both running pegged at 25% all the time; no matter throttle posistion. truck has no power above quarter throttle, and TC keeps going in/out of lockup.

Measured fuel pressure at the fuel rail connection. I'm seeing 56psi key on, and 52psi engine idling. I'm thinking this is low and likely I have a fuel pump issue. during cam install, I installed new mpfi spider, and fuel filter. engine starts quickly and easily, but does have a miss to it. Would you agree fuel pressure is low ?
But you mentioned with the MAF unplugged the fuel trims improved to 15%? That's the threshold of what the ECU uses to throw the CEL light. Maybe something is off on the tune, bad MAF, or...?

If fuel trims do stay at 25% regardless of RPM, that would certainly point to fuel delivery problems, especially if both banks are exactly the same.

The way to check maximum fuel pressure from the pump is to temporarily pinch the return line and look look at pressure. On these truck the only lines are flexible are the ones under the floorboard where they jump to the transmission...

Last edited:

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should have clarified that I now have the MAF plugged in and operational. My previous update had the MAF plugged in. Not getting a CEL, but the codes I'm getting are pertaining to lean conditions on banks 1 and 2 (P0171 and P0174), and a knock sensor voltage code (P0332). Seeing as the consensus is likely that fuel pressure is low, I will likely replace the fuel pump. Sure looks like adding a power harness from Racetronix is a reputable upgrade for the fuel pump, so will look into doing that as well.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an observation from an outsider to 0411 PCM and MAF controls, it sounds like your VE table(s) aren't giving you enough fuel. Your fuel pressure is low too exacerbating it even more. Is there a BPC you can adjust for these? Good luck!
I believe you may be correct. dumb question, what is a BPC ? This week I replaced the fuel pump assy. codes 0171 and 0174 are gone. fuel pressure is now stable at 58-60 psig in Park and idling. In park idling, with MAF plugged in - STFT's are near zero, LTFT 24% both. In park idling, with MAF UNplugged - STFT's 2-4%, LTFT's 9-11%. Driving around the block with MAF plugged in - I was seeing STFT 0-2%, and LTFT's 6-12%. No CEL, but when i got back to the garage I had 2 DTC's - P0332 (low knock sensor voltage) and P0706 (I still need to run 4 trans wires to 0411). I'm probly going to replace the knock sensor wiring tmrw to see if that addresses P0332, as well as run the 4 trans wires to 0411 pcm.

Yesterday I was getting P0300 in Park at idle, but not today. Assuming I can get the P0332 and P0706 DTC's to go away, I'm thinking the fuel trims are to be adjusted by a pcm tune. Any thoughts ?

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so just providing another update. I've run the 4 wires for the trans range sensor to 0411pcm; spliced in to instrument cluster. I replaced the wire and connector for the knock sensor, and P0332 seems to be gone. Been driving around a bit logging data to send to BB for tune update. With MAF plugged in, I'm still getting LTFT of 23-25%. The engine seems to start and run pretty dang good, but still not getting full rev range. Only get about 3500rpm under medium acceleration. The only DTC that I'm registering now is the P0706, which is the trans range sensor code. I'm hoping this can also be addressed with the tune; as the truck won't start in Reverse or Drive (so don't think any issue with sensor). Please let me know what you think.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
56 is a smidge low, but not earth shattering. With the engine running does it jump to 56 when you crack the throttle WOT quickly?

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm seeing 58-60psig consistently. Does not really move when I crack the throttle quickly.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happy it's working out. How do you like the cam? I considered that cam as it was one of the few in-stock (at Amazon of all places) when I did my upgrades but all the reviews were for it in car motors so I wasn't sure how it would work in a truck. Ended up playing it safe with the 395 cam.
update, with MAF plugged in - I'm no longer getting CEL. Still getting 1 DTC, which is P0706. I do have 4 trans range wires installed to 0411 pcm and spliced behind intrument cluster. LTFT pretty well sit at 25%. STFTs vary pos and neg, so look to avg near 0. Its guzzling gas just driving a bit around town.

Decided to verify my injector and coil wiring to PCM. I now have the injectors wired as @JeremyNH suggested, which does match the pinout spreadsheet I received from @Lextech. I have the 8 ignition coils wired as per the Aloicious 24x conversion writeup, which do not match what @JeremyNH listed in the spreadsheet. coils 4/7 & 2/3 are swapped on my current setup. see below for my current pcm wiring. I'm not getting CEL or misfire DTCs, but also not able to get more than about 4000rpm out of the setup at roadspeed. I'm wondering if I have coils 4/7 & 2/3 wired incorrectly ??

Coils:
cyl 1 C2-26
cyl 7 C2-29
cyl 6 C2-28
cyl 4 C2-27
cyl 8 C2-66
cyl 2 C2-69
cyl 5 C2-68
cyl 3 C2-67

Injectors:
cyl 2 C1-3
cyl 3 C1-4
cyl 1 C1-36
cyl 6 C1-37
cyl 4 C1-43
cyl 7 C1-44
cyl 5 C1-76
cyl 8 C1-77

LR Bank1 C2-60
LR Bank2 C2-61

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aloicious used an F body tune as his base. I used the tune from a 2002 Silverado as mine. I did this because the F body 411 pinout that Aloicious used had no provisions for an EGR or 4x4 and the AC controls were different. The 2002 Silverado matched what I had on my truck as migrated over to the 2002 Xvan since I did my 411 swap a few years previous much more closely so seemed a far better place to start. Converting to cpc shifts the firing order to what the LS uses: 18726543. The SBC uses 18436572. So when you start from an LS based tune you need to swap everything in the fueling and firing order to match what the LS uses. As mentioned, I noticed during my research that the Xvan uses the same injector pinout that you would need in an LS tune which is to say their order was already swapped. So no changes if using an LS tune to the fueling order. Only change in the LS then was swapping the firing order but these wires do not exist in the Xvan pinout. I deviated from Aloicious elsewhere as well, specifically I used the ignition wire to the old ICM as the #1 coil signal wire vice repinning it in the PCM and splicing it for tach signal since it was long enough to reach the #1 coil and was already pinned to the PCM where it need to be so I instead ran a new wire to the tach. Probably some others but I would have to go back through my notes. But I would think you would be getting misfire codes if half your coils were firing out of order not simply running out of breath at 4000 rpm. The curves on my dyno tune stop at 5750 rpm so it didn't affect me. I've never gotten it above 5000rpm on the road though. Rarely do I get it above 4000rpm. But it works fine at all power ranges, no codes and never had any, and all auxiliaries work as they should so pretty sure I did it right.

Edit: I just checked your pinout and it does match mine for both injectors and coils.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: