Please Help - Getting Codes after Cam Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I decided to recheck all the 24x ignition wires (Qty 10) installed new. Turns out one of them (#4 coil wire) was not pressed all the way in. Also, several others, (including #7 and #2) had crappily cripmed pins; and may have been grouding out. I dressed up all 10 pins for the 24x igntition - and Viola !! no CEL is coming on the dash. I drove it around, on the highway and it ran great. Never got a CEL.

When I got back I checked DTC's. I'm showing P0706 which is trans ransge sensor. I'm also showing P0332 which has to do with knock sensor voltage. Neither are making the CEL come on.

When I look at individual cylinders I still see a few misfires pop up but only like 2 or 4 on only a few cylinders. STFT's are near zero or negative, but LTFT seem to both settle around 20-25% most of the time.

Thanks again @JeremyNH for the injector wire swap suggestion ! So far, I'm loving this setup. Pretty responsive, and sounds great.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happy it's working out. How do you like the cam? I considered that cam as it was one of the few in-stock (at Amazon of all places) when I did my upgrades but all the reviews were for it in car motors so I wasn't sure how it would work in a truck. Ended up playing it safe with the 395 cam.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only got the truck drivable today, but so far I really like the cam. Quick startup, Nice idle, nice throttle response, good power. You are correct, it was one of the only cams available over the past month or so that even comes close to my application. I had ordered and received the 395 cam, and decided to go a bit more agressive in the end. I can tell you I did not take the 395 cam out of the shipping tube, but comparing it to the comp 501 cam - the 395 cam seemed almost twice as heavy. I guess the 395 is likely billet steel; while the comp is a cast core.

I went with scorpion 1.5 roller rockers during this cam swap, and they seem pretty quiet. I'm not hearing alot of valvetrain noise versus prior to the swap. Hopefully BB can get the tune dialed in a bit more, and down the road I go. so far so good.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
395 is billet. As for the trans range thing, it looks like the ability to tune that out disappeared for EFILive with a software update. The .cax file used for it didn't work for me a couple weeks back when I went to verify my dually and Lextech's .cax file for another purpose also didn't work, even though both did years ago. The 411 is a bit pickier with misfires and I imagine a 24x would be even that much worse. You need to ask BB what firing order he has for you, because you don't necessarily have to go to an LS tune for the 24x. There is a hi/lo crank sensor parameter in EFILive. I'm not sure if it's as simple as flipping that switch or not, but it could very well be.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 thank you for confirming I need to run the 4 wires. I have reached out to BB and asked them to confirm firing order. As I drove it more today, I never got a CEL; but I did check for DTCs and found P0171, P0174, P0332. Along with seeing the LTFT both at 25%, it sure looks like I have a vacuum leak. I cleaned the MAF, but no change. I will likely remove the upper intake tmrw to inspect.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 thank you for confirming I need to run the 4 wires. I have reached out to BB and asked them to confirm firing order. As I drove it more today, I never got a CEL; but I did check for DTCs and found P0171, P0174, P0332. Along with seeing the LTFT both at 25%, it sure looks like I have a vacuum leak. I cleaned the MAF, but no change. I will likely remove the upper intake tmrw to inspect.

Try unplugging the MAF and see what the fuel trims do.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I unplugged MAF. Misfires went away completley. STFT's stayed pretty well 0%. LTFT went from 25% to 15.6% on both banks 1 & 2. When I goosed the throttle, LTFT on both banks went to 25%, but came right back to 15.6%.

I get no CEL. The DTCs I get are P0102 and P0706.

What does this mean ? Does this mean I have a bad MAF ?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I unplugged MAF. Misfires went away completley. STFT's stayed pretty well 0%. LTFT went from 25% to 15.6% on both banks 1 & 2. When I goosed the throttle, LTFT on both banks went to 25%, but came right back to 15.6%.

I get no CEL. The DTCs I get are P0102 and P0706.

What does this mean ? Does this mean I have a bad MAF ?

That or a terrible MAF calibration. What stage of tuning are you at?

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty early stage I would say. I've only used the baseline 24x tune from BB.

I drove it around the block with MAF unplugged. LTFT's got down to 8%. STFT stayed around 0-2%. Misfires are gone, and no CEL. Only DTC's I got were P0102 and P0706.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update, I've been able to keep the CEL off; but I'm still getting DTC's - P0701, P0171, P0174. STFT are running 0-3%, but LTFT's both running pegged at 25% all the time; no matter throttle posistion. truck has no power above quarter throttle, and TC keeps going in/out of lockup.

Measured fuel pressure at the fuel rail connection. I'm seeing 56psi key on, and 52psi engine idling. I'm thinking this is low and likely I have a fuel pump issue. during cam install, I installed new mpfi spider, and fuel filter. engine starts quickly and easily, but does have a miss to it. Would you agree fuel pressure is low ?