Please be aware of the following scam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be brief but there are thieves among us here in GMT 400 - recently joined I might add.
-jacksonmatt239, joined Jun 8/20 (I failed to notice this early on) referred me to [email protected] regarding my interest in acquiring upper and lower steering columns covers.
Note: these ID's show up on other boards and linked to scams.
-anthonyjones4422 provided a credible picture of the parts I was looking for and wanted $40 for them
-I gave him my address so he could work out a usps ground rate into the price
-He stated he needed $60 to make the deal happen (I thought his shipping was light so I paid him $100 via paypal/Visa)
-A few days later I followup and ask when he will ship and to get me the tracking #.
-He replies I need another $50 or I won't ship
-I refuse and state give my money back
-Of course he refuses and says he has spent it already as he had to pay a friend for the parts who has spent the money
-I offer to pay usps directly and cover all freight just need and address for pickup - to which I receive no reply
-So concludes my very minor tale of woe - totally my error and lesson learned

Interesting to note that I after I refused to pay more money
-harrywils1234 who joined gmt400 Jun 18 states [email protected] has the parts I am looking for
-I am pretty certain it is the same scam

Advising Admin @Shaggy

Last edited:

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for following up with me. Paypal contacted but is dragging their feet a little but Visa is backing me and will reachout to paypal. df2x4 stepped in and saved the day by teaching me oem parts are available through summit, :)so at this point I am good. Cheers and I ain't going anywhere - GMT400 is still a happy place for me.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Chilledspode So if I boot these jokes now will that adversely affect you in anyway with regard to getting anything resolved or no?

EDIT: I saw you were filing a claim with PayPal so I went ahead and cleared them out. I even found another one that had signed in and replied to 3 threads who was connected to them so he's gone too. I apologize that this happened to you! Thank you for bringing it to our attention so that we could get them off the forum. If anyone EVER has an issue please let @Shaggy and I know ASAP so that we can handle it. :waytogo:

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That scam is happening on forums everywhere, not just here. It's always the same deal. Some brand new member with zero or just a couple posts will contact you through PM or sometimes a reply to your WTB post and tell you (some name)@gmail has that part. You email that person, they send you a pic of the item (almost surely found on the net, no actual part in hand.)

Once you've seen the scam you'll begin noticing it everywhere..

Richard

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That scam is happening on forums everywhere, not just here. It's always the same deal. Some brand new member with zero or just a couple posts will contact you through PM or sometimes a reply to your WTB post and tell you (some name)@gmail has that part. You email that person, they send you a pic of the item (almost surely found on the net, no actual part in hand.)

Once you've seen the scam you'll begin noticing it everywhere..

Richard

Yup - I can spot it easily now but at the time, I was in the office running flat out while trying to close the deal on the parts with only 2 spare brain cells and missed the warning signs :) I know better, multitasking is a delusion...

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Chilledspode So if I boot these jokes now will that adversely affect you in anyway with regard to getting anything resolved or no?

EDIT: I saw you were filing a claim with PayPal so I went ahead and cleared them out. I even found another one that had signed in and replied to 3 threads who was connected to them so he's gone too. I apologize that this happened to you! Thank you for bringing it to our attention so that we could get them off the forum. If anyone EVER has an issue please let @Shaggy and I know ASAP so that we can handle it. :waytogo:

I am all good with your actions and thanks for checking in with me, just the same. No one's fault but my own. Cheers.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I had a feeling those emails were scams. I remember them giving those emails in threads that were searching for parts. Sucks that you got scammed, hopefully this can get sorted out.