Play in Steering...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
True but didnt know how much. I've heard a long time ago that rebuilt gear boxes have worse play the brand new back in the day oem. All I know this my steering a whole lot better now that it's new. Still has play but nothing like before. Lol.

I have never had any luck with an off the shelf gear box. I bought a Delco a couple of years back and had to set everything before I put it in. It felt OK but not right. I had it rebuilt by Benchworks Steering in Mesa last month and it was night and day different. IMO, use one the multiple rebuilders with great reputations and stay clear of the rebuilt junk at the parts stores.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never had any luck with an off the shelf gear box. I bought a Delco a couple of years back and had to set everything before I put it in. It felt OK but not right. I had it rebuilt by Benchworks Steering in Mesa last month and it was night and day different. IMO, use one the multiple rebuilders with great reputations and stay clear of the rebuilt junk at the parts stores.

I got ac delco from rock auto. Just installed it and ran new fluid. It's pretty dead on. Only time you realize the play is whenever you compare it to a new ride with rack and pinion lol

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I got ac delco from rock auto. Just installed it and ran new fluid. It's pretty dead on. Only time you realize the play is whenever you compare it to a new ride with rack and pinion lol

I just drove my truck for the first time with the Benchworks box and tightening up the slop in the intermediate shaft slip shaft and I can honestly say it feel just as good as rack and pinion in my daily driver. I'll take it to work tomorrow and see if I'm still as smitten :)

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drove my truck for the first time with the Benchworks box and tightening up the slop in the intermediate shaft slip shaft and I can honestly say it feel just as good as rack and pinion in my daily driver. I'll take it to work tomorrow and see if I'm still as smitten :)
Are you saying that above the upper joint of the intermediate steering shaft... (the output shaft of the steering column) adjustments can be made? When I move the steering wheel within its range of play the steering shaft does not move so it appears to be within the column.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Are you saying that above the upper joint of the intermediate steering shaft... (the output shaft of the steering column) adjustments can be made? When I move the steering wheel within its range of play the steering shaft does not move so it appears to be within the column.

In my case it was the intermediate shaft's slip joint not either of the two u-joints.

Jelew82 has a picture of the location and the fix here:
https://www.gmt400.com/posts/1102147/

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve replaced every single suspension and steering component on my blazer, the entire front end along with the steering gear box and intermediate shaft. While it is infinitely better I still have play in my steering.

Does anybody know why this would be or have any ideas?

I wasn’t sure where in the forums to post my question but I hope I can get a few responses here.

thanks
Did you replace the rag joint?
Or did you use a rag joint replacement kit from the parts store?
This is a factory oem GM rag joint for your truck
You must be registered for see images attach
You can see that is much different than the garbage aftermarket stuff
Send me the model and year and all the other info you can come up with and ill make sure it fits.
Its GM part # 78417222.
If it fits and you pay the shipping its yours bud.
Ill send it to you

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you replace the rag joint?
Or did you use a rag joint replacement kit from the parts store?
This is a factory oem GM rag joint for your truck
You can see that is much different than the garbage aftermarket stuff
Send me the model and year and all the other info you can come up with and ill make sure it fits.
Its GM part # 78417222.
If it fits and you pay the shipping its yours bud.
Ill send it to you
I’ve already replaced the whole shaft and the new one substitutes the rag joints out for universal joints.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve already replaced the whole shaft and the new one substitutes the rag joints out for universal joints.
Cool, thats an upgrade thats on my list too.
Even with pretty much all new steering parts, driving this thing during our windstorms is a lot like sailing a boat.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
along with the steering gear box

What brand gearbox did you use?

Similar to what knuckle said, I’ve gotten bad ones straight out of the box. The worst was a Delco.

I’ve used a Redhead on a Bronco with good results. I have a Bluetop on my two door 98. It’s tight as hell and is the 96 and under version (versus the slightly different 97+ box that they used with the EVO) so it should be the same as your 94. Highly recommended.

Just to throw it out there, how are the tires? Any changes in the steering with a tire rotation?

Edit: didn’t you lift it? Was it like this when stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk