Play in Steering...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve replaced every single suspension and steering component on my blazer, the entire front end along with the steering gear box and intermediate shaft. While it is infinitely better I still have play in my steering.

Does anybody know why this would be or have any ideas?

I wasn’t sure where in the forums to post my question but I hope I can get a few responses here.

thanks

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace the rag joint? I haven't had the experience but I read somewhere that it is a weak point? I know nothing about this except reading about it somewhere so i hope someone who has had the experience will chime in.

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you replace the rag joint? I haven't had the experience but I read somewhere that it is a weak point? I know nothing about this except reading about it somewhere so i hope someone who has had the experience will chime in.
I replaced the whole shaft including the rag joint with universal joints

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong ...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a screw on the gearbox that you can tighten for some play? Wasnt it on the top or near the plate? I think an allen screw

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
isn't there a screw on the gearbox that you can tighten for some play? Wasnt it on the top or near the plate? I think an allen screw
There is one on top but, be careful! If you over tighten it you'll crack the case. FWIU there's an adjustment inside too which is the better way to go but, the OP said he replaced the gear box so, I would guess it's already been adjusted.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong ...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a screw on the gearbox that you can tighten for some play? Wasnt it on the top or near the plate? I think an allen screw

You're right but you're wrong at the same time. There is an adjustment there but it's over used. To properly adjust the gear it needs to come out and set everything.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is one on top but, be careful! If you over tighten it you'll crack the case. FWIU there's an adjustment inside too which is the better way to go but, the OP said he replaced the gear box so, I would guess it's already been adjusted.

True but didnt know how much. I've heard a long time ago that rebuilt gear boxes have worse play the brand new back in the day oem. All I know this my steering a whole lot better now that it's new. Still has play but nothing like before. Lol.