Plastic tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Wantin to build offroad camper this spring/summer. Use a long bed n frame as my base. Wondering if anyone's ever thought about usin a plastic fuel tank as a water supply?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I suppose it would work as long as its brand new obviously but getting the water out would be another challenge. An in-tank fuel pump wouldnt hold up very long to pumping water.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't try using a fuel tank. I'd move the spare tire from under the tailgate and put an RV water tank there. You'll have a more square space to work with. The only downside is adding the weight of your water tank behind the rear axle, which can make lifting the throttle in a corner adventurous.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A plastic fuel cell would work, hook up the rv water pump to the bottom sump or if there isn’t a sump install a bulkhead fitting.
I think this would work good, just need a bulkhead fitting drilled into it.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you using it for drinking. I am not certain but I believe there are different grades of plastic for food grade containers. Somehow I don't think a fuel tank is made of such. They make expanding water bladder tanks for the small beds of side by sides. That may be a lighter weight and more compact option.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I doubt I'd use it for drinkin. At this point it's just an idea that popped in my head. In reality I could just carry couple things of bottled water and maybe a rain bladder or blue Jerry can for water for clean up in truck. Just Mullin around ideas in my thinkin meat while I wait for weather to warm up.