Plastic fuel pump bucket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thenameless

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Glad to be here been waiting a couple months to get on the forums due to some email issues. Looking for some help and hoping to provide some where I can. I am in the process of putting together a 97 rcsb 2wd. I have swapped an lm7 with 4l80e, tss cam and a 7875. I am wondering what the solution is to getting rid of this plastic fuel pump assembly. The outlet has broken off while routing the 6&8an lines. I am aware of the aeromotive drop in unit but looking to see if there is something oem and cheaper to fix my problem. Already have the 450lph pump. Can I buy a metal unit or would that require changing the tank aswell? This little issue is holding me up from moving ahead. Thanks in advance.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tanks are indeed different for the plastic trash can sender and the old skeleton-style metal ones. You can easily fit a tank from a previous year in your '97 though, just be sure you get it from another shortbed. The switch in sending unts happened mid-year '97 on the pickups. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a brass drift/punch for removing the sending unit lock ring so you don't make any sparks near fuel vapor. They're only a few bucks at the tool store.

Of course you already know the lines attach differently but since you're swapping and the whole point is you're going AN- fittings...

Richard

Thenameless

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I will do, I thought that may be the solution. If I don't have the brass I will grab one. Thanks for the heads up.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm building a 97 or 98 truck for a customer and he doesn't want to use the factory tank. If you need the bucket assembly out if I can get it next time I put it on the lift.
It ran the 305 fine and fuel level gauge worked.

It's getting a LY2 4.8, twin 66s, and th400.