Planning on a Spring and Cam upgrade, Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvo

Reaction score
So I am looking at a Spring and Cam upgrade on the Vortec 5.7 SBC L31.

The spring kit: Summit Racing Dual Valve Spring Kit LS SME-174003, link
here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...5s9gVF5Xvc67y_4aR5vQV0w4oYHyy1yRoCf3AQAvD_BwE

The Cam shaft: Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Computer controlled 206/212 Hydraulic cam, link here: https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-ene...2-hydraulic-roller-cam-for-oe-roller-sbc.html

Now I'm aware the springs are a little overkill for the cam, but will this cause any real issues? I wouldn't like to go with a much bigger cam without upgrading the entirety of the heads, keeping in mind this is mainly a commuter, should I go with a slightly more aggressive cam or a different spring kit? Send links if you have any suggestions.

Also, another thing I was thinking about was pushrods and lifters, will these springs put too much pressure on these parts? I realize it would be a good idea to upgrade them regardless but I heard OE is pretty strong, so asking for opinions.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cam's slightly more aggressive and I went with LS2/LS6 beehive springs and Comp Cams 787-16 retainers. About 15 lb/in lighter and about the same price once you add in valve seals and keepers. I went with umbrella seals instead of positive seals for more lift clearance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much spring will make life unnecessarily difficult for the roller lifters and cheapie OEM pushrods. Match the springs to the cam.

Buying springs/retainers/keepers/seals along with whatever other parts are needed/desired (pushrods, lifters) and the cam all from one company tends to eliminate Corporate pissing and moaning if something goes wrong and you need warranty replacement. They can't blame the failure on the springs, for example.