Planning a build, input on retaining 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
  1. Ok Guys,

I love these old trucks,

I'm looking at a couple crew cab long beds and considering buying to do a Lq4/9 swap

I have a couple questions:

If I find a complete drive train with trans/transfer case/ PCM/ Harness; can I likely tie it into the current 4x4 setup?

If I choose to use the existing transfer case and trans (4l80e) is it that much easier?

Thanks in advance

2. Goals are for fully functioning 4x4, not a major crawler but a hunter and have some acreage that 4x4 is non negotiable.

Input appreciated

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When Jay did the LS swap on my truck he kept everything stock from the bellhousing back. He used the stock mounts and a set of 1" setback plates from ICT Billet. He used the stock re-pinned harness for the 411 ECU and modified it for the additional wiring that the LS needs such as coils and etc. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As I recall the 6.0 uses a spacer or something to get it to work with the 4L80E so if you're willing to keep your trans/t case this is definitely the easiest option as the 6.0 should bolt right up especially if it came from a 2500 truck. LQ9 may require said spacer or whatever they used, but will all be off the shelf stuff.