Pittsburg Pneumatic Brake bleeder and Black break Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ingrammc

Reaction score
My Brake fluid was Black I tried to purge my system using the Harbor Freight, Pittsburg Pneumatic Brake bleeder and I could not even get fluid to flow to my rear breaks. too a closer look at rear breaks and I could not even get them apart. the Break shoes had worn a groove into the drum making a lip on the edge that I could not get the passed the brake shoes. I ended up taking apart everything and after a whole day long ordeal of drilling and prying I got them removed and replaced with all new parts. Still no flow using break bleeder. has anyone used this type of a brake bleeder before is there something different about the Chevy brakes that is wont work with?

ingrammc

Reaction score
yes I was able to get fluid out. I think I got ahead of myself started bleeding brakes before adjusting rear brakes completely. tonight when I got the brakes adjusted properly regular brake bleeding worked using wife and step son as brake pumpers while I bled brakes.

ingrammc

Reaction score
I have had success with that bleeder on my truck. You have a collapsed line or some other problem I would guess. Can you get fluid to flow out when hitting the brake pedal?

I think I need a bigger Air compressor mine is a 2 HP 8 Gallon that maxes out at 120 PSI and does not start to pressurize until it drops below 90. I dont think it maintained enough pressure to work properly.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the parking brake being applied have any effect on bleeding the rears?

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the parking brake being applied have any effect on bleeding the rears?

I really don’t think so. All you’re doing is forcing fluid into the wheel cylinder and when the bleeder is open it’s got a path out of said-cylinder. I can see where having the parking brake engaged might allow the pistons to travel out some and give you a smaller volume of fluid per stroke of the pedal, but I’d wager that’s inconsequential.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Since your in there already, you may want to consider changing the rubber line on top of the diff. That could be collapsing and causing your low flow problems.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I need a bigger Air compressor mine is a 2 HP 8 Gallon that maxes out at 120 PSI and does not start to pressurize until it drops below 90. I dont think it maintained enough pressure to work properly.
I just used a little pancake style compressor.