Pitman/idler arm replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I like using local re-builders for steering boxes. That way if there's ever a prob, the down time is minimal. The shop I use will even build the box in the ratio you desire. No extra charges for that.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I like using local re-builders for steering boxes. That way if there's ever a prob, the down time is minimal. The shop I use will even build the box in the ratio you desire. No extra charges for that.

How do you come across these guys? Seems like local guys, for starters, alternators, radiators and the like are getting rare, and oftentimes are just ordering online and marking up lol.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
The 3 local shops I know of are located in the industrial areas that cater to commercial truck repairs.

Ooh good idea, I get driveshafts made at a local big truck shop, I should ask about boxes also.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before replacing that steering box give it a good look to see where the slop is coming from, the usual suspect is the rag joint on the steering box end of the steering column. It has done its job to reduce vibration in the steering column but I'm sure it has developed slop .

When I replaced my pitman arm on my 4x4 '98 I was able to do it without removing the box if I am not mistaken. I did take the advice here to also replace the idler arm bracket while I was in there, I wouldn't say it was required but man am I glad I don't need to touch my steering for another 100k miles

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I don't know if the steering box is a problem, just figured after 205k miles if I had to remove it to do pitman arm I'd rather go ahead and do a new box... Now if I can do pitman without removing steering box I'd try that first..

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Well I don't know if the steering box is a problem, just figured after 205k miles if I had to remove it to do pitman arm I'd rather go ahead and do a new box... Now if I can do pitman without removing steering box I'd try that first..

Thats pretty much where I'm at with it lol. If I have to drop that stupid leaking box, I'm not adjusting it or anything else, a new one is going on, done lol.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did my pitman, idler and bracket without removing the box. I did need to unbolt the box and move it around a bit tho, but not fully remove it. on a 97 K1500