Pitman/idler arm replacement

Discussion in 'Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits' started by mackguy, Jun 24, 2016.

1. mackguy

mackguy I'm Awesome

Had the 'burban in to Firestone a few days ago and asked for an alignment check. They said there was too much play in idler and pitman arms to do an alignment. I haven't noticed unusual sloppiness in steering but would like to take care of it eventually.

Couldn't find anything on here about it but saw a couple youtube videos that indicated removing steering box and idler arm bracket were necessary. Is that normal? Just looking for best / easiest way to do it.

Any part brands to prefer or avoid? Rock auto had lots of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RichLo

RichLo E I E I O

On a 4wd yes, removing the box is necessary. And I would replace the idler arm bracket as well since your in there, You dont have to but you still have to remove it from the truck to replace the idler arm so why not just get a new one also since its out.

3. mackguy

mackguy I'm Awesome

Thanks..
    If I have to pull the box anyway, would it be prudent to go ahead and replace the steering box, or is it better to leave it alone until it causes its own problems? I do have a little "wander" in steering, but originally chalked it up to just being an old truck (it's much less wander than my '90 F250), but if I'm going to start fiddling with it, would be nice to get as much done at once as possible.

4. RichLo

RichLo E I E I O

When I did my front end I had the same mentality as you so I ordered a redhead quick ratio box and I love that improvement! if you have the funds, I would get a redhead rebuilt box also. Otherwise your stock one is probably just as good as a cheap parts store "rebuilt' one anyway and I would throw that back in.

5. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Enjoying tomorrow's success today

AFAIK all the part's store's do is re-seal them. So either adjust it yourself, or get a redhead.

6. mackguy

mackguy I'm Awesome

How much did the Redhead cost you? I've e-mailed them but didn't see GMT400 listed on their site.

7. east302

east302 I'm Awesome

Moog is usually pretty good. You get what you pay for, avoid the cheapo overseas parts if you can.

8. mackguy

mackguy I'm Awesome

Thanks, I thought MOOG was decent, and not even the most expensive. I tend to avoid anything in RockAuto "economy" category.

9. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Enjoying tomorrow's success today

I've been told that you can call for these trucks. My box for my F100 was 350.00

10. mackguy

mackguy I'm Awesome

They responded.. $296 + Shipping + $150 Core..

Jrgunn5150 likes this.