Pitman arm questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, a C. Which suits me fine as for tarmac use only and I'm on a quest for simplicity. Six fewer UJ/CV joints to go bad and much easier access to other things too. Not to mention the transfer box and front diff.
And you can change your oil filter without giving half the engine and your driveway an oil bath.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And you can change your oil filter without giving half the engine and your driveway an oil bath.

Err.... no I can't! Not until someone tells me about all the oil that comes pissing down after the filter is removed. Is it from the cooler lines?
At least I can catch it. Is what's being said here is that 'they all do that Sir' but with 2WD it's easier caught?

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Err.... no I can't! Not until someone tells me about all the oil that comes pissing down after the filter is removed. Is it from the cooler lines?
At least I can catch it. Is what's being said here is that 'they all do that Sir' but with 2WD it's easier caught?

With the 4x4 the filter is mounted horizontally and hidden behind the front drive shaft. The oil that comes out has to run over the front u-joint and pours down all over the place.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the 4x4 the filter is mounted horizontally and hidden behind the front drive shaft. The oil that comes out has to run over the front u-joint and pours down all over the place.

That's a proper mess - unavoidable I guess as there's always going to (or should) be oil in the filter.
With the 2WD the filter comes off nice and clean without spilling any of its oil - then there's a deluge from above for what seems an age.
Does the 4WD spill that as well as its filter contents? Is there something wrong with my 2WD that it does what it does?

(Don't you just love the way threads drift on this forum? From Pitman to pissing oil in a handful of posts!)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That's a proper mess - unavoidable I guess as there's always going to (or should) be oil in the filter.
With the 2WD the filter comes off nice and clean without spilling any of its oil - then there's a deluge from above for what seems an age.
Does the 4WD spill that as well as its filter contents? Is there something wrong with my 2WD that it does what it does?

(Don't you just love the way threads drift on this forum? From Pitman to pissing oil in a handful of posts!)
The 4wd models have an angle mounted oil filter and there's not really any way to keep it from dumping the used oil. I used to have the same problem with my old dodge, the filter was on the side of the block. About all you can do is have a big drain pan....and a lot of paper towels.
And yes it's normal for the Chevy 350 to drain it's old oil for a while, mine usually takes 20 minutes or so. If I lifted the right side up more than the left it might go faster. Have to try it this weekend.