Pitman arm questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 k1500. Changed my pitman last summer and went cheap with ebay special. Gonna look into changing it and a friend told me he changed his without taking out the gearbox. Has anyone done this? I hate dropping it just to change that pitman so seeing if anyone has any tips.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Loosen 3 bolts holding to frame and tilt it up to get puller tool on pull old one off. Install new and bolt back to frame

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Loosen 3 bolts holding to frame and tilt it up to get puller tool on pull old one off. Install new and bolt back to frame
Heard of that too but really wanna leave the gearbox a lot because if I have to tilt it I have to disconnect all the **** for it

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you use the ebay special, be warned your steering wheel will not be straight. The splines are not aligned like oem ones. Also they are not the same thickness. I welded 2 thick washers together to take up the gap. The lock washer was touching the splines and it wasn't even tight yet. I changed it for an oem unit after the many gearbox swaps.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you use the ebay special, be warned your steering wheel will not be straight. The splines are not aligned like oem ones. Also they are not the same thickness. I welded 2 thick washers together to take up the gap. The lock washer was touching the splines and it wasn't even tight yet. I changed it for an oem unit after the many gearbox swaps.
Gearbox is from oreillys pitman from eBay

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get an AC Delco from Rock Auto for a reasonable price.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After removing the 3 bolts shove the gearbox towards the dashboard,compressing the steering shaft and it will clear the cross member so you can pull the arm.