PITMAN ARM HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Almaraz

Reaction score
currently replacing pitman arm and idler arm. I got the idler arm in but I’m having trouble with the pitman arm. I have it lined up on the splines but will not seat all the way flush. What can I do?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my K1500, it doesn’t seat flush. There is a gap which is covered by the rubber seal that slides up.

If you go to about the 2:00 mark, this guy’s video kind of shows the gap and rubber boot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluetahoe

Reaction score
currently replacing pitman arm and idler arm. I got the idler arm in but I’m having trouble with the pitman arm. I have it lined up on the splines but will not seat all the way flush. What can I do?

I just replaced mine on a 4wd 97 Tahoe. It should push on to the point that you can use the nut to drive it on some and then add the washer underneath the nut and finish driving. Be sure and torque properly. My torque wrench only went to 150lbs so we turned the air up on the gun to get about 600 lbs. Didn't let it hammer too long. Probably got about 1/4 to 1/2 turn after torquing. Torque spec I think was 184

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a tapered fitting. You can't bottom it out. I think the torque rating is 180 lbs. I had to rent a bigger torque wrench from the parts store.

Tony Almaraz

Reaction score
Yeah I got it figured out guys, definitely not supposed to be flush. My bad, took me a little less than 2 hours to replace idler arm, pitman arm, and sway bar links. Getting alignment done today