Pinion seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The pinion seal really is easy as stated. When I had a leak in my C1500 and changed the seal I found the tiny leak was through the splines and under the washer of the nut. To fix that I just built up some gasket maker on the yoke splines at the nut end. Sliding on the yoke allowed it to build up under the washer and nut.

Postmech

Reaction score
Place I used to work for had a large fleet. We replaced pinion seal by removing yoke , seal, cleaning everything, installing new seal, yoke , new nut, sealant under washer and tightening against crush sleeve slowly until no endplay in pinion, and assuming bearings were good, should seal fine. You don't want to over tighten pinion bearings.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
When I changed the gears and rebuilt my 10B I used this crush sleeve eliminator. I reamed out a couple bearings so I could slide them on and off easily while setting it up. We dropped the whole rear end out of the truck and did it all on the bench. Worked great. I know you probably don't want to tear into it but, something to keep in mind.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-55048

Any one that does diff work on a regular basis SHOULD have set of bearings that will slip fit on to the pinion IF they what to make any profit or save time on diff set up. The crush sleeve elimination kit is a VERY smart option, as it allows for very precise adjustment with out the expense/hassle of replacing the crush collar that GM originally installed on the pinion shaft.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the crush sleeve on my 10 bolt. My neighbor down the road--who is pretty good at these things--said mark everything (I suspect the way SC did it), and give it one "tat" with the 1/2" impact. May have been outhouse luck but nothing is leaking. I was so curious as to how the ring and pinion were wearing I pulled the cover and checked about 6 months later. To my less-than-expert eye they appeared to be wearing fine.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of good info here. I do have some air tools and a good compressor but no lift (only in my dreams)

My dads going to talk to a family trusted mechanic and decide then.