Pinging (I think) with 87 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 1997 single cab short bed 4.3/5speed. I use this truck as daily commuter for a long time, the past year or so I’ve been running 93 octane, seems to get rid of a ping (sounds like cricket chirp) when under load accelerating, and gets way better fuel mileage. I’ve read this could be egr (which I know nothing about), or it could be wrong spark plug?? I’m running e3 diamond fire just to try. I filled up with 87 lately to try and save some money but I don’t want to keep doing this if causing issues. Any guidance in troubleshooting would help a ton!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, start with changing to normal plugs, run some seafoam or Berrymans B-12 through a few tanks of 91 gas. And get a scan tool on it to check how much ignition advance your running and check knock count. You can get a plug-in OBD device for around $100 that allows your phone or tablet or laptop to check all of these parameters with free software. Your engine computer should auto-retard the timing when it sees knocking