Pinging alot with 89

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My issue was a bad EGR valve that caused pinging in my engine. Don’t overlook that.
Came here just to say this and you beat me to it. It can be tricky getting the correct EGR for these TBI engines though and the parts house brand is often a big fail.

That engine should not ping on 87 and definitely not on 89. It's designed for 87.

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Came here just to say this and you beat me to it. It can be tricky getting the correct EGR for these TBI engines though and the parts house brand is often a big fail.

That engine should not ping on 87 and definitely not on 89. It's designed for 87.

Richard
I went through 2 from autozone that failed out of the box. I ended up ordering a NOS one online & it’s been fine since.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked the timming it around 10 degress notch not zero. I taped on the engine and i saw a knock spike on the scanner. So i am going to advance the timing to zero closer to the big notch

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you should i move the distributor clock wise or counter? If i am in front of the engine looking down

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to put some white paint on the timing mark so i could see it better. I went under the truck and noticed two marks Do i paint both? thanks

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to put some white paint on the timing mark so i could see it better. I went under the truck and noticed two marks Do i paint both? thanks
Tippex (if you have any) works. Dries faster than paint.