Pig Pen's 89 GMC 2wd SAS Auto to SM465

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started looking for a square body, but you know how that goes, especially in Texas. My father brought up the option of getting my uncle's truck, and I chuckled and said unc ain't never gonna get rid of that. Well, he did, and here we are. I wanted a 4x4 with whatever I wound up with, so I knew this was the direction I would head eventually. This truck belonged to my uncle since slightly used. My father inquired about it jokingly and got told to come and get it.

She was covered in Arkansas moss and hadn't started for a while. We winched onto the trailer, brought it, and had it running in no time. I drove it for the past two years in stock configuration until it was time to rebuild all suspension components. Since it would need a complete rebuild suspension-wise, it was time to reach out to offroad design and get some parts.

I decided to use 3/4 ton parts for a multitude of reasons. I have a D60 and 70HD out of a 3+3 CUCV with 4.56's, but I don't want to use it for this. I will not run over 35" tall tires, and I can fit in my garage. I wound up getting a 75 or so low pinion dana 44 and had the knuckles machined to run full hi-steer; it came with 4.10 gears. For the rear, I decided to use a GMT400 style 8 lug semi 14 bolt 4.10's. Doing this saved a massive headache, I believe, since I already gave myself plenty to deal with on this project.

I grabbed a 1992 3/4 ton gas parts truck and also a 1992 3/4 diesel parts truck. Both had the SM465s.

A quick run down and hurdles I had to get to this point.

ORD SAS front went together perfectly. I used 2.5" pro-comp lift springs, and this was an excellent combination, in my opinion. For the rear, I used the ORD flip and HD shackles coupled with a 1" offset zero rate block. I May one day try the 1.5" offset to see what we gain.

I rebuilt a nice 700R4 trans with all the Sonnax goodies, but I drove my buddy's manual trans truck and instantly changed my mind. The u-shaped block down the page is required to return the clutch pedals to a stock config. It sets the pitch spot on. My truck came initially been automatic, and I figured all the body styles came with provisions to convert to manual. That is not the case.

I purchased a Willwood .75 clutch master cylinder and a ram hydraulic throw-out bearing. I only have about a .050 gap. We will see if it is sufficient. The willwood bolted up directly to the GM studs.

It is going to be easier to run fittings and braided lines to reroute my fuel lines. You may be able to get away with not, but for cleanliness, this is the route I will go.

It has been covered already, but the exhaust will need to be rerouted—no way around it.

My front brake lines are needed to be moved back just a little because of the 2wd. They are further forward but an easy fix. The rear brake lines went together really well.

My next most significant hurdle will be getting the front shocks on hoops and position properly. I will also need to address the np208 speedo. It is cable driven and uses a 2000PPM signal. The TPI guys have this solved I believe but I will need to do some research and post solutions. Wish me luck. Cheers!

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of interior. I didn’t have these on my laptop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is my plan for the shock set up. I will have to run regular rears for now till I can build a tucked in bed cage.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14 bolt gone through. Changed the metric studs to SAE.
Front gutted and crossmember notched.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Axles under it with a Cali lean. Steering will need sorted and may eventually need to go with inverted t style or move the box forward.
Loaded up and headed to the house. Finish the rest in the Oklahoma red dirt. That stuff has healing powers. Last pic is parts truck. The parts truck had A50 code buckets with console.
No overdrive sm465 with a diesel :confused:

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got hit hard with weather. Made a 5.5” long steering arm and from first glance still gonna be tight. getting closer though.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XJ steering shaft fit perfectly. Ordered a new one for $50-$60 off of eBay. Hydro brakes in. Clutch pedal hung. Had a buddy machine a 5/16 thread bung. I can weld the stock clutch push rod and keep it stock throw.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New ring gear and locker. JK
Pedals are great. I need a fitting to adapt the swivel at the clutch MC to step it down to the -3 hydro throw-out bearing. final stance for now.
2.5 pro-comp fronts with ORD SAS. rear shackle flip with ORD HD shackles 4-4.5” I believe with zero rate 1.0” rear offset.