Permission granted to raid '92 dash instruments!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Ok so I got the go ahead to rob the '92 next door of a few things. Most notably the gauge cluster in the dash. Knowing it is going to get grafted into the '89, should I pull the printed circuit behind it as well?

If so, how do I go about doing that and what connectors will I need to save in the process? As you can tell I have never done anything like this. I have read the threads on putting the newer cluster in the older trucks, but since I can get the circuit as well I'm wondering if that makes things much easier or not?

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's only one connector. The whole cluster comes out as one piece. The 92 cluster won't plug in to your 89. It has a different connector. You'll have to do some rewiring to put a 92-94 cluster into a 88-91 truck.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Bummer....thought I had a shortcut. Story of my truck life. No worries though, still getting the cluster tomorrow. I hate the moonies, had them in my '87 S-10 Blazer 4x4.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Got the cluster out in a short order, then the washer bottle transfer to my truck went swimmingly! Had to take a pic of the big block while I was at it.

You must be registered for see images attach

mariodave

Reaction score
Ok so I got the go ahead to rob the '92 next door of a few things. Most notably the gauge cluster in the dash. Knowing it is going to get grafted into the '89, should I pull the printed circuit behind it as well?

If so, how do I go about doing that and what connectors will I need to save in the process? As you can tell I have never done anything like this. I have read the threads on putting the newer cluster in the older trucks, but since I can get the circuit as well I'm wondering if that makes things much easier or not?
I have done this conversion to my 89. You need the plug from the donor truck that goes into the cluster. You must also modify your dash to hold the plug. All wires must be spliced , cut off old plug and match up wires, most circuits are the same. It all worked out well in mine and i got a tach.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the heads up. I need to snag the connector after work, didn't pull that. Is it hard to get out?

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the heads up. I need to snag the connector after work, didn't pull that. Is it hard to get out?

It’s part of the wiring harness, so it’s a cut and rewire thing. Each wire is a different color, so it should be almost match for match. However, I haven’t done your particular job, so I don’t know anything about it. I have rewired a 98 cluster to my 94, but I haven’t finished everything in my swap yet to know if I got it 100%.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Yeah I pulled it out as far as I could then snipped each wire. I probably have about 3" behind the plug. When I snip mine I will get it right up next to the plug so I have a few inches of wire to work with. Got an expert mechanic that will be helping and we're going to follow the instructions I found here and on the 67-72 board.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You also need the "DRAC" I believe its called, which is located behind the glove box. Its a white plastic box, sized like a sandwich but a little smaller. The DRAC is what alows the speedometer to work, and also does the speedometer calibration so it reads the correct MPH for your gearing and tire size. Theres a writeup on the web how to do the whole install.