Past Trades: 1981 K1500 to 1949 Plymouth Club Coupe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictured are a few of my past rides. I had the 81' K1500 since I was 16, it was my first vehicle. I've restored it to it's pictured condition. Build list below...I winded up wanting something the Wife and kids could ride along and enjoy with me. Along came the 49' Plymouth! I fell in love with it and it fit the bill for what I wanted to do with the Wife and kids. So I eagerly sent a Favebook message and scored the deal!

81' K1500:

Rebuilt SBC 0.030 over with Hypertetic pistons ect. Summit rebranded Brodix 64cc heads, Summit 1102 cam, Edelbrock RPM airgap intake, Holley 650 cam, HEI distributor, Boss Hog 2800 stall converter, TH400 transmission with Corvette adjustable servo. GM 14 bolt full float rear axle 4:10 gears. GM 10 bolt front 8 lug (don't remember if 10 bolt or bigger off the top of my head) 8 Lug! Summit 15" Super Trucker wheels, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35s. Truck would scream up to 6500 rpm. Lots of fun to play with it off the pavement.

49' Plymouth Club Coupe:

Original flat 6, 3 on the tree. I converted it to 12V alternator and re-wired the entire care except the gauge cluster for 12V. Added blinkers and brake lights. Resurfaced the cylinder head and valve job, rebuilt the drum brakes all around, rebuilt the carburetor, installed a new coolant crossover tube in the engine, refurbished the radiator and installed an 12'' electric fan. New headlights, fixed the vacuum actuated wiper assembly, and custom fabricated a center console for an aftermarket radio, 8 aftermarket speakers (2 tweeters, 5 mids/highs and 1- 10 alpine sub) I installed the amp rack and crossover under the front seat. About 2000 watts stereo in it. All you could see though was the two 6.5" speakers in the center console and the sub in the back which could be removed for car shows. It was loud but nicely done. Ended up repairing a lot of the wood accents and building a wooden fuse box and glove box for it as well. The fuse box ran all the electrical component to include the original wiring as I feared the car may burn down with 60+ year old wiring.

The time to move for the military was approaching again and I new I couldn't take the car with me. I couldn't see the car leaving the Bexar County area so I ended up trading it to a 55 y/o gentle man that fell in love with the car. BTW the car has never been registered or titled out of the San Antonio zip code since 1949! It still had the original plates that where professionally restored in the trunk. That in itself told be to keep her there. It's still there in the south side region of San Antonio today. The owner drives it to work often which is only a mile down the street. He absolutely loves the car.

I ended up trading the car from him for a 07' Jeep Wrangler TJ with 49,*** miles on it. I fixed the radiator and flipped it for $15K. It was in good condition. That leads me to my next thread...

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does still have the flat 6. The original owner wanted to put a Scat Pack Hemi in it and transform it into a resto-mod for his Father but ended up changing his mind. He had receipts for the car that I saw that totaled past $28K, Pearl Essence White paint, $10K in interior restoration and re-plating every inch of chrome. This guy a bookoo bucks in his toys.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spitting hairs here, wouldn't the pickup actually be a K10? I dont think they went to "1500" nomenclature till IFS in '88
Yes they didn't come in as K1500 my bad on the typo. I guess this truck would fall in the K20 platform but those didn't come in the 3/4 ton axels either for a half ton truck so split some more hairs there. The axles where indestructible though. I enjoyed that truck thoroughly.