Passlock Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone here had to deal with a passlock issue? I bought a 98 1500 that apparently had a security system installed, which then failed. The PO had taken the column apart and respliced the wires. When I initially bought the truck I had to reset the passlock by leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes. It now cranks and starts briefly but shuts right down. According to troubleshoot my vehicle.com this is a passlock failure. Should I try another steering column? Can I bypass the system altogether. Any ideas very much welcomed

Last edited:

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixed. Had to do the reset procedure 3 times. Here's the issue I had and hopefully it helps someone else. This drove me crazy. The truck would run for 3 seconds then shut down. The procedure to reset the passlock is start vehicle and leave key on for 10 minutes after it stalls. Turn key off for 20 seconds and repeat 2 more times. Very good possibility I will need to replace the lock cylinder but it seems to be running great. Not having a scanner I pulled my hair out diagnosing this.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you ever want to get rid of the system entirely, Black Bear Performance can disable PassLock in the PCM as part of their mail order tuning services. I'm sure many other tuners can as well, but I have personal experience with Black Bear. Awesome people to deal with and free alterations to the tune for life.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Fixed. Had to do the reset procedure 3 times. Here's the issue I had and hopefully it helps someone else. This drove me crazy. The truck would run for 3 seconds then shut down. The procedure to reset the passlock is start vehicle and leave key on for 10 minutes after it stalls. Turn key off for 20 seconds and repeat 2 more times. Very good possibility I will need to replace the lock cylinder but it seems to be running great. Not having a scanner I pulled my hair out diagnosing this.
Thanks, l will try this. My 99 Burb was starting fine most of the time until the last few weeks. I did the procedure where you open &close doors and do the turn signals and that was working. Not now, not even disconnecting the ground cable for 30-45 minutes is making a difference. It cranks great but won't stay running more than a couple seconds, so l know that something is killing the power to the injectors. And yes l am getting fuel to the engine. I love this truck but l hate this problem! It's a stock 5.7 vortec 2wd