Passed time to rebuild. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 98 z71 the vortec is in need of a freshin up. I'm wantin more power thinkin of goin carburated. What all happens when u throw a new Intake and a 4 barrel on it. What all needs to be changed to kinda do away with all that computer crap.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'd be a lot better off keeping the fuel injection and PCM. Just install whatever parts you like and then have the PCM tuned accordingly. The "computer crap" is much more efficient than any carb and it won't hold you back at all unless you're talking huge power numbers. Even then you can get bigger injectors.

You'll need to keep the factory PCM to control your transmission anyway assuming it's an automatic.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, there are lots of people out there tuning the factory black box PCMs for the '96+ trucks. However if I were you I would be a little worried about putting a 383 in front of a 4L60E. They're not a very strong transmission. If you're really wanting to make some power I'd consider swapping to a 4L80E.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 but doesn't it take a 0411 to control the 4L80E? IDK - I'm still stuck in the 80s with the 700r4, lol.

Nope, the black box PCMs can be tuned to run a 4L80E, no problem. Black Bear Performance set me up with the tune for my red '97 V6 C1500 that I 80E swapped.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 98 z71 the vortec is in need of a freshin up. I'm wantin more power thinkin of goin carburated. What all happens when u throw a new Intake and a 4 barrel on it. What all needs to be changed to kinda do away with all that computer crap.

Mostly it'll cost you more headaches, time, and money than you will ever anticipate.

The computer makes everything work--including the 4L60E.

Have you priced what it would cost to "make" a 383? I'm thinking you could buy a crate 383 for a bit less...

Reaction score
I had one in a 95 short bed 2 wd. But I bought it that way. It was a monster on the bottom end. It was carburated. Fun to drive but around 7mpg I could only drive it a day or so outta the month. I'm really jus wantin to wake up what I already have cuz I'm no rich guy by no means.

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a rebuild with a mild cam, a tune and a nice exhaust would wake that truck right up with a lot less headache than going with the old school route?

Whatever you choose, please keep us in the loop. Consider my curiousity piqued!

:)