Passed time to rebuild. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 98 z71 the vortec is in need of a freshin up. I'm wantin more power thinkin of goin carburated. What all happens when u throw a new Intake and a 4 barrel on it. What all needs to be changed to kinda do away with all that computer crap.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
NNNOOOO!!!!

Please consider spending your money elsewhere on that vortec and keeping the FI. You wont gain anything that a simple computer tune wouldn't fix. For the time and money you would spend 'eliminating' the computer you could almost rebuild the bottom end and stroke to 383 yourself.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
If you're dead set on putting a carb on it, you'll still need the PCM and associated sensors (tps, tach signal, etc) to operate your trans and stuff. You won't gain anything by putting a carb and carb intake on it, in fact, you'll probably lose efficiency. Plus, you'll always have a check engine light on unless you get all the DTC's tuned out (do NOT recommend especially if you are in an emissions county)

If it were mine, I'd put some upgraded parts (heads, cam, etc) do an 0411 PCM swap and put a proper tune in it. I'm betting you'll get way better results this way, but it's your ride.

David89gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northern California Sierras (God's Country)
What will change? Mostly driveability, you'll need to wait for it to warm up before driving, your mileage will suffer big time, and the power won't increase much. Spend a little time learning about the new technology. If you really want power out of that Vortec, put a blower on it, there are kits available...