Parts list for 4.3 vortec to 5.7 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a '97 Vortec 4.3 rcsb and I just bought a parts truck '96 vortec 305 extended cab for the rear end and a few other bits.

What V8 accessories should I save from the 305 parts truck that I could use when I swap in a 350 crate motor down the road into my 4.3l truck?

I'm saving:
-wiring harness
-all the accessory drives and pulleys
-intake w/ fuel injection
-engine management parts + dizzy
- ECU (I think 305 and 350 are different, but hoping can still use it if I get it tuned? )
- downpipes/most of the exhaust
- gauge cluster (incase there are parts needed for 8cyl tach signal vs the 6 cyl)
-engine mounting brackets
-trans ecu (if they even have one)
-cooler lines and radiator

My biggest question, can I reuse the trans (4l60e) that is currently in my 4.3L V6 truck with the 350 motor I plan to swap in down the road, or do I need to use the 4l60e from the v8 truck? Does the trans stay in the same position it was in with the v6, or do I need to save the bracket off the V8 truck?

Thanks for any help. I feel like I've searched fairly extensively, but couldn't find the info specifically about if you can reuse your 4l60e and the mounting position.

Thanks,
Andrew

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think for those years the transmission is actually the same. Use the one that you know works or has seen better life/service.

They have changed the input shaft of those transmissions over the years, but it looks like on 96/97 they are the same. Read here on post #4:

The final iteration of the 300mm is considered the strongest of the three FWIW.

The transmission stays in the same location as on your V6.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have read on other forums some guys say the V8 transmissions had more clutches than the V6s. However, I don't know if that is true or not...there's no mentioned about this here, so probably not:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I know on the 300mm (the "LS" bellhousing bolt pattern) input shaft version, there are no differences between the V6 and V8s.

BTW, no separate ECU for the transmissions; it's controlled by the engine ECU.