Parking light/turn signal issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gjones72

Reaction score
This just started happening to my '93 Indy over the past couple of weeks. Initially when I turn the parking lights on, the driver's side turn signal indicator will illuminate (just on the dash, not on the exterior) and the driver's side markers will not light up. The parking lights on the driver's side are much brighter as well. If you leave them on, after about 30 seconds, the parking lights dim to normal and the side markers will turn on as the turn signal indicator on the dash goes off. But, the lights on this side will randomly flicker a bit, and at the same time causing the turn signal indicator to flash on as well. When the truck is on and I turn on the left turn signal, it causes the instrument cluster lights to flash with the turn signal.

I have done the side marker mod, lighting up the upper side marker housings as well. Wiring is parallel (positives all together, negatives all together), which is what I've read is ok to do. All connections are soldered with heat shrink. I have also replaced all four of the parking light sockets, as well soldered and heat shrink. All bulbs are standard incandescent.

I have verified good ground on the core support on the driver's side and on the fender on the passengers side. Removing ANY of the side marker bulbs does not change the issue. I have tried a spare headlight switch as well and it does the same thing. I have also swapped out the emergency flasher for the heavy duty unit. I have also tried removing the turn signal relay and the issue persists with the parking lights. I have also verified that nothing at the rear is touching swinging it shouldn't be (I deleted the trailer lights plug). Also verified a good ground at the back.

I am getting ready to put a full stereo system in it soon (currently nothing in it) and plan to upgrade power and grounds under the hood, including body-to-frame and body-to-engine. Could a bad ground at either of those spots cause this to happen JUST on the driver's side? Also to note, the tail lights are unaffected other than A SLIGHT flicker when to parking lights are flickering. Passengers side is unaffected, both front and rear.

I have a couple of videos that I'll try and post here as well.

gjones72

Reaction score
I'll be dipped in sh*t! Unplugged the tail lights completely from the plugs and no change. Went back to the front and took the driver's parking light housing out, only to discover that one of my BRAND NEW 2357A bulbs apparently has a short in it. Verified by swapping bulbs and the problem follows the bulb, not the socket.

Thank you Nad_Yvalhosert for the tip!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'll be dipped in sh*t! Unplugged the tail lights completely from the plugs and no change. Went back to the front and took the driver's parking light housing out, only to discover that one of my BRAND NEW 2357A bulbs apparently has a short in it. Verified by swapping bulbs and the problem follows the bulb, not the socket.

Thank you Nad_Yvalhosert for the tip!
Just proves what I've heard many old line mechanics say. My cousin was the first one, but many others have their version of this: N E W does not spell G O O D. Ask @frito-bandito about his front calipers.....or @Pinger about the master cylinder on his Burb.....or anyone else on here who's had a similar experience.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just proves what I've heard many old line mechanics say. My cousin was the first one, but many others have their version of this: N E W does not spell G O O D. Ask @frito-bandito about his front calipers.....or @Pinger about the master cylinder on his Burb.....or anyone else on here who's had a similar experience.
Will keep that in mine, when I think I need a NEW spouse.