Parking brake adjuster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt98

Reaction score
Hi, A couple years ago I changed the rear cables and the equalizer/adjuster on my parking brake (The adjuster snapped). The only one I could get was by Dorman and as soon as I went to apply it with any bit of tension the one cable pulled through. I fixed it by adding a hose clamp there. Then, adjusted it up again and the actual adjusting nut blew out of it. It's held in by a band clamp, so I cut it off, crimped the adjuster together and put a second hose clamp and it seemed to work, so long as I didnt tighten it too much (pedal goes about 3/4 of the way down).

Fast forward to today, I snapped the front cable, so I replaced it and decided to again, put a dorman adjuster on it (now I couldn't turn the nut very week because of the modification). Right off the bat this time I put the hose clamp on the front of it and tightened the band clamp. Still though, the nut portion blew out as soon as I put the brakes on. I'm not pushing the pedal hard at all. I could clamp it again/put the old one back on but I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone that made a better one that this problem didn't happen to.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a park brake cable (or two) for my K1500 at NAPA that was not branded as Dorman.

'Course, that was probably ten or twelve years ago. Maybe longer.

I'd be trying other parts stores to see what was available--perhaps even the Stealership.

Don't forget to file a complaint with your provincial or federal motor vehicle safety department; brake cables that fail that easily need to be recalled, and the manufacturer should be paying fines.

Matt98

Reaction score
Got any pics of this adjuster?
You must be registered for see images attach

Before I even put it on I squeezed the clamp a bit tighter but nothing, and theres nothing that holds the other cable in place on the other side, it just flexes under pressure and opens up. I ended up putting my old one back on (which is also that same dorman one) What I did there was cut the band clamp off and peen the edge of the metal over by the nut, and squeezed the other side where it goes on the other cable. I tightened a hose clamp onto the other cable and adjusted them. Then I put a second clamp on where the adjuster nut is and tightened it down, seems to work fine and thats how its been for the past couple of years but it'd be nice if I could get one that just worked

Never tried GM but I tried 3 part stores and rockauto, most of them couldn't even get it which I don't understand since its used on a lot of GM vehicles. I put the exact same part on a buick allure about two weeks ago and low and behold, same problem, also hose clamped that one.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score