Pan hard bar or wattts linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A watts keeps the rear centered better with long travel.
The Achilles Heel of a watts link is long travel. At the extremes the figure-8 motion of the center is apparent, and it causes binding which sends your spring rates through the roof. Racers had this problem on first-gen RX-7s - they came from the factory with a watts link. The solution was to convert from 4-link with a watts link to a 3-link with a panhard bar. It was much more controllable at the limit.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Panhard bars are effective, but that top kit is pure bunkum. If you want to go full-racer on the suspension, ditch the leafs and go with a three or four-link rear suspension.

I agree that it looks like a band-aid solution, but if you put it into context, it probably works pretty well for what they're using it for: an autocross truck. That thing is lowered at least 7-8 inches in the rear. Limited suspension travel would give it less of chance to bind up. The traction bar aspect of it looks like it would work fine.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bit late to the discussion but been researching Panhard bars and watts some, since I want to keep a leaf spring setup on my beater project BUCK.

Not sure if I'll do either BUT was reading another book by Carroll Smith - Tune to win And he basically says the Panhard for leaf springs is simple and good enough, watts isn't worth "the theoretical advantages" & complexity. Also he talks bout the design and set up of a Panhard and as mentioned by Erik, that one in the link is not good based on what I've read. IF I decide to take the time & money to fab either I'll build a Panhard setup but I got a few other ideas I wanna try when I get around to it.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Tahoe and fabricated two 1 1/2 aluminum bars that go from as closed as I could get to the center ( both sides of the diff and ran them to the inside corners of the cross rail and frame. I made up l brakes to screw the heim joints to.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Bit late to the discussion but been researching Panhard bars and watts some, since I want to keep a leaf spring setup on my beater project BUCK.

Not sure if I'll do either BUT was reading another book by Carroll Smith - Tune to win And he basically says the Panhard for leaf springs is simple and good enough, watts isn't worth "the theoretical advantages" & complexity. Also he talks bout the design and set up of a Panhard and as mentioned by Erik, that one in the link is not good based on what I've read. IF I decide to take the time & money to fab either I'll build a Panhard setup but I got a few other ideas I wanna try when I get around to it.

This ^^^ most people here won’t benefit from a watts setup at all. I’ve wheeled extensively with my pan hard bar and while it will shift the axle with hard suspension applications like coming off a rock too fast or a quick cycle I haven’t noticed any issues other than it will usually eat up Hiems there first before anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This ^^^ most people here won’t benefit from a watts setup at all. I’ve wheeled extensively with my pan hard bar and while it will shift the axle with hard suspension applications like coming off a rock too fast or a quick cycle I haven’t noticed any issues other than it will usually eat up Hiems there first before anywhere else

The less body roll and suspension movement you have, the more attractive the panhard becomes. The frame mounted side dictates roll center which plays a large role in body roll.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Pardon the temporary derailment...

DonYukon, I noticed the ARB bumper in your signature pic. Can you share your thoughts on it? Curious to hear a first hand opinion. Thanks

DonYukon

Reaction score
The less body roll and suspension movement you have, the more attractive the panhard becomes. The frame mounted side dictates roll center which plays a large role in body roll.

On a Leaf sprung set up correct. Mine is linked so I require one or my axle will literally walk out from under mine :D

DonYukon

Reaction score
Pardon the temporary derailment...

DonYukon, I noticed the ARB bumper in your signature pic. Can you share your thoughts on it? Curious to hear a first hand opinion. Thanks

No worries , So far I love it . fitment was great no rust issues. the quality of the parts were spot on and I had to drill nothing. uses the factory mounting as a traditional bumper with some added bolt in supports obviously. Winch mounting was also a breeze. Although there was a guy here that said the paint fades within a few years but I haven't had that issue yet.