Painting Your GMC Logo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, you want to remove the emblem off of the grille, this is really easy but you must be careful not to break the pins that hold the emblem on. Dealer price for a new emblem....$105.00.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then, you need to seperate the the red part and the chrome. This took about 10 mins because you need to be careful not to force it too much or else it will snap....remember to remove the glue from the back of the letters and the chrome piece.. On the M I started at the bottom three points if that makes any sense. i'd work at it for a while, go to the next point, and so on, i thought the "G" was the hardest.

Also, you can drill out a few holes in the back of the chrome, to give you a spot to push the letters off of the chrome backing.
There are 4 tabs on the back that holds the emblem in the grille. You will need to remove the grille to get at the emblem.
You should only need 2 holes drilled behind the M, just be careful and if it feels like its not coming out, drill a couple more holes in the problem areas.
Just drill holes behind the letters deep enough to get through the chrome and just touch the red. Then use a screwdriver or a tap to push the red letters out from the backside. Heating the letters may help a bit here. Remember to use adhesive to return your new letters to their original place.

you'll want to scuff the lettering up pretty good or else the paint isn't going to stick, I scuffed it all up, washed it and dried it, and then scuffed it up again. You want to make sure you get in the corners and edges. Now you are ready for primer.

You want to do about 2-3 light coats. What i did was make sure the surface was clean, shot a coat of primer, wait about 30 minutes and sand it with 2000 grit paper, and the repeat a couple of times. you don't want to rush it or else you'll have to go back to step one and sand it back down.

and the teaser pic....this is what i have to look at until my paint gets in....more to come

Thanks to 00Pewter and Fogle from GMFullSize for the write ups.

Last edited:

970tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow...that's interesting that you pulled the letters out. I just masked off and it came out great.

Can't want to see the finished product

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what color was that grill before?

cuz I went from blue to silver on my grill.

Reaction score
I did it the hard way, I taped it. But I also painted the rest of the grill too. I had the older flatter GMC grill before.

That grille looks good. I like the blue!